Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a “LFP” trip in Prague-Linz-Salzburg- Vienna

Re: Suggestions for a “LFP” trip in Prague-Linz-Salzburg- Vienna

Thanks for the link. It is manageable by train!

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    I've only done Hallstatt by car. There is a way to do it by train, the link for how-to info is below:

https://www.traveltyrol.com/salzburg-to-hallstatt/

If you decide to go, I'll recommend that you plan an overnight stay. The morning and evening light with the mountains and lake are terrific. But it's worth the trip even if you don't stay overnight.

Keep in mind Salzburg and that entire area can get quite hot in summer. I was there 5 years ago and many of the smaller hotels do not have air conditioning. Same is true for Hallstatt. The big chain hotels (with air conditioning) can be quite expensive (Salzburg). I was there in June and it was pretty hot. We stayed in small hotels without AC. It did cool off at night and the hotel windows did open.

In Hallstatt, Gasthof Zauner and Gasthof Simony are smaller Hotels/restaurants that were all family owned when I was there but I understand many of those smaller hotels have been bought up by investors. I have no knowledge of any specifics on ownership.

John: Thanks for the information! I like to stay those small and local hotels. David

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    If you decide to go, I'll recommend that you plan an overnight stay. The morning and evening light with the mountains and lake are terrific. But it's worth the trip even if you don't stay overnight.

Keep in mind Salzburg and that entire area can get quite hot in summer. I was there 5 years ago and many of the smaller hotels do not have air conditioning. Same is true for Hallstatt. The big chain hotels (with air conditioning) can be quite expensive (Salzburg). I was there in June and it was pretty hot. We stayed in small hotels without AC. It did cool off at night and the hotel windows did open.

In Hallstatt, Gasthof Zauner and Gasthof Simony are smaller Hotels/restaurants that were all family owned when I was there but I understand many of those smaller hotels have been bought up by investors. I have no knowledge of any specifics on ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    John: Thanks for the information! I like to stay those small and local hotels. David
    We tried to stay in a lot of Zimmer Frei places. Usually small family restaurants or homes with a room available. Great prices, great service, unusually clean and comfortable, all had a bath and tv.

Also stayed at Marriotts and other major hotels in Europe but the best and most interesting were the Zimmer Frei ones. The sign is hung outside when they do have an available room.

Yes! in Vienna be sure to hit up Figlmüller's for the definitive schnitzel. It is that good.

If you are going to Prague and looking for a breakfast cafe, I can recommend Louvre.

https://www.cafelouvre.cz/en/

Less dramatic but with more of a view is Slavia.

https://www.cafeslavia.cz/

The location I was suggested for the best beer and food, without being a 100% tourist trap, was Lokaal. I didn't test the beer but the rest was good.

http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/#index

The Sudek studio was falling down, then caught fire, so what you see now is a rebuilt 'shed' in the courtyard of a large building which was built around the old location. The garden is more-or-less still there and there are likely to be several small exhibitions when you visit. When I visited, entrance was by ringing a bell in order to get the door to the precinct of the larger building opened. The museum/gallery is looked after by volunteers so opening-times aren't necessarily what you'd expect. Is Sudek the most well-known one-armed, large-format photographer?!

https://www.atelierjosefasudka.cz/en

There used to be another, commercial, gallery over the road too. After that you might like the view from the observation tower, on top of the Mala Strana heights, West of the river. There is/was a mountain-railway going up, then you can choose many routes for an easy walk down to the river afterwards, with excellent views over the city on the East side of the river.

Wenceslas square is scene of several of Koudelka's famous Prague-Spring photos, and the opera-house is right there too if you wish to be especially cultural. The Jewish quarter and much of the old town is on the 'corner' of the river, on the east bank opposite the castle. If the weather is right, you may be able to take the tethered balloon from near the Kafka museum which will give some fantastic views (if it still takes to the sky?).

Public-transport is with trams, trains, metro and busses -- and runs most of the night on main routes. I last visited Prague via the night-train (arrive in the morning after sleeping all night), but these have been reduced hugely now, and I stayed in a campsite which has since been redeveloped in to a sports-centre. Oh well, things change.

Have a great visit !!

I love those Zimmer Frei ones too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    We tried to stay in a lot of Zimmer Frei places. Usually small family restaurants or homes with a room available. Great prices, great service, unusually clean and comfortable, all had a bath and tv.

Also stayed at Marriotts and other major hotels in Europe but the best and most interesting were the Zimmer Frei ones. The sign is hung outside when they do have an available room.

Look forward to go there! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stage View Post
    Yes! in Vienna be sure to hit up Figlmüller's for the definitive schnitzel. It is that good.

Thanks for detailed information!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    If you are going to Prague and looking for a breakfast cafe, I can recommend Louvre.

https://www.cafelouvre.cz/en/

Less dramatic but with more of a view is Slavia.

Have a great visit !!

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Thanks for detailed information!
    If you go for pizza in Prague be careful if you order a pepperoni piazza. While you can get very good piazza there pepperoni will get you a piazza covered with peppers! If you want pepperoni there then order pepperchini. We learned the hard way!