Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Multi-Format Camera

M.A. Wikstrom

Lightweight Multi-Format Camera

Almost finished with this little guy. No movements - kind of a 4x5 SWC. Built it around a Fujinon SW 75mm f/8 lens and a nice little Sinar Graflok back. Scale focus from about 2 ft to infinity using a helicoid. Will also use it with 6x12 and 6x7 roll film backs. Switching between 4x5 and 6x7 gives wide and normal perspectives with only one lens. I tend to print big when going wide and smaller when not so wide, so 6x7 shouldn't be a drawback in terms of image quality.

Calibrated infinity focus yesterday. Left to do: make a distance scale for the helicoid using a tape measure and ground glass, make viewfinder masks for 6x7 and 6x12, and go shoot!

I plan to use it when going lightweight such as hiking and backpacking, or any time the 5x7 outfit is just too heavy.

Re: Lightweight Multi-Format Camera

Nice! What helical did you use?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Nice! What helical did you use?
    It was from a Chinese eBay seller. Don't remember which one.

You are certainly a person of my own heart. Thanks for showing your work, and very best of luck. I have a few builds of similar goals.
    --
    Jac

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You are certainly a person of my own heart. Thanks for showing your work, and very best of luck. I have a few builds of similar goals.
    --
    Jac
    Thanks; I'm looking forward to using it.

Wow, nice camera. Looking forward to see some results.

I'm interested in where you found the viewfinder for my own build. Right now I started machining something but this is becoming more complicated that the rest of the camera.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Love that thin gray stain.. I did something like for my work desk; applying a coat of gray, letting it sit for a short time and wiping up the excess, dry and repeat. The did a coat of poly.
    Nice job

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Wow, nice camera. Looking forward to see some results.

I'm interested in where you found the viewfinder for my own build. Right now I started machining something but this is becoming more complicated that the rest of the camera.
    It's the viewfinder from a Graflex XLSW super wide medium format camera. It was designed for the 47mm lens, 6x9 or 6x7 format.

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Love that thin gray stain.. I did something like for my work desk; applying a coat of gray, letting it sit for a short time and wiping up the excess, dry and repeat. The did a coat of poly.
    Nice job

Thanks. The color is called "Carbon Gray" from Varathane - put it on and almost immediately rubbed off the excess with a clean rag. Used their satin polyurethane spray to cover it. I give my frames the same treatment.

M.A. Wikstrom

4x5 test run from the Grafmatic back. Bad iPhone image of a proof, but I'm very pleased. The negatives are very sharp under the loupe.