Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dream lens.

Re: My Dream lens.

Now I have to be careful about what I write - I can see that a lot of time, effort and, perhaps, investment have got into this project.

First of all, I can't really evaluate the first set of Images that the OP posted. I don't know whether the resolution is due to my own Ipad or whether it is a problem for all viewers regardless of viewing medium. The later images - more classic composition for pictorial lenses - do look like photos taken with a long focus meniscus lens. I have a lot of purpose built meniscus lens for both "general" photography and "pictorial" photography. The range is from 6" to 60". The difference between the well designed achromat and the "faulty/arty" achromat is, in my opinion, marginal. I get the impression that composition, side/back lighting etc. are probaby more important than the name on the side of the lens.

What I am saying is that there are 1,000s of meniscus lens available out there which will produce the desired aberrations. Perhaps there is an apparent shortage of the longer focal lengths (greater than 18") but remember there is a hidden unused, for the most part, source in the front cell of your Petzval.

It is fun thing to retrace the deveopments of the 20th century, but for me the most recent interesting and important retro activity at the moment is the development of a new range of dry plates!

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Now I have to be careful about what I write - I can see that a lot of time, effort and, perhaps, investment have got into this project.

First of all, I can't really evaluate the first set of Images that the OP posted. I don't know whether the resolution is due to my own Ipad or whether it is a problem for all viewers regardless of viewing medium. The later images - more classic composition for pictorial lenses - do look like photos taken with a long focus meniscus lens. I have a lot of purpose built meniscus lens for both "general" photography and "pictorial" photography. The range is from 6" to 60". The difference between the well designed achromat and the "faulty/arty" achromat is, in my opinion, marginal. I get the impression that composition, side/back lighting etc. are probaby more important than the name on the side of the lens.

What I am saying is that there are 1,000s of meniscus lens available out there which will produce the desired aberrations. Perhaps there is an apparent shortage of the longer focal lengths (greater than 18") but remember there is a hidden unused, for the most part, source in the front cell of your Petzval.

It is fun thing to retrace the deveopments of the 20th century, but for me the most recent interesting and important retro activity at the moment is the development of a new range of dry plates!
    Thanks Steven for the info and input. TT

8x10 in Platinum Palladium contact print
    Double sided Xray film.

That's a terrific photo, TT!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

[QUOTE=Peter De Smidt;1502533]That's a terrific photo, TT![/QUOTE

Thanks Peter. We are after the image after all. Don't we?

One was taken with a Pinkham Smith Bi-Quality and other with my lens . Let me know what you think ?

A

B

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    ...I have a lot of purpose built meniscus lens for both "general" photography and "pictorial" photography. The range is from 6" to 60". The difference between the well designed achromat and the "faulty/arty" achromat is, in my opinion, marginal. I get the impression that composition, side/back lighting etc. are probaby more important than the name on the side of the lens....
    I have a 500mm Reinhold Meniscus lens that I have never put on the camera -- any significant difference between it and most meniscus lenses?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    One was taken with a Pinkham Smith Bi-Quality and other with my lens . Let me know what you think ?

A

B
    Both very nice shots ... but hard to compare two different shots with different subjects under different conditions with different focal lengths.

Looks to be the the exact scene with slightly different sun positions. Tri, the Pinkham (image A) has obvious signs of swirly in the the corners with overall higher contrast while focus area appears sharper when compares to your signature lens. Image B with Lilly has a soft glow similar to Struss Pictorial or Kodak Portrait Lens. Petzval vs. Meniscus? How did you get Nga the model in image A to wear that outfit when its 90F degrees at mid summer day?

I would love to see you compare your signature lens to a Struss Pictorial lens?

Thanks for the input Jeff. What's Struss's focal length you want me to compare with? 9,10/12 or 15?