Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Releases - who makes custom versions

Cable Releases - who makes custom versions

Does anyone know who makes custom cable releases?
    I have searched quite extensively, but can't seem to find a source...of course the big makers are not interested in making a couple of anything, so I need a cable craftsmen... TYIA

Not sure what you are looking for that can't already be bought but, You may want to check a high end custom Bicycle shop. A technician that makes cables for gears and brakes mybe able to make a custom cable?
    Just a thought,

Dan, that is a good idea, never thought of bicycle gear....... the purpose is, to fire two lenses for a synced stereo pair.

I am trying to have one Copal shutter drive another Copal shutter, simulatneously. I put a normal cable release into the first shutter, so when it fires, a cable assembly attatched to the rear of the first shutter fires the second shutter.

Mechanical linkage is not possible due to the location of the two hammers. A dual cable release is not ideal, as the slightest change in position of the cables causes the timing to differ......hence why I need a fixed cable connection between the two shutters.

We make OEM releases. Send us a drawing we can send to the factory and we can see if your requirement can be done. We make releases that push as well as pull.

Bill, how about taking a pneumatic driven cable release. (I don`t know how you call these in english, in german its e.g. Hama Pneu Ausloeser). You can easily prolong these ones or make linkings. The air pressure should automatically fire both shutters.

Greetings from Bonn

Norbert

Just curious, but what are you trying to get that is not already made?

How close in timing are you trying to achieve? Are you shooting a moving subject?

Sound trigger on each might work. Also light synced like those for wildlife photography.

Thank you for the input....

Bob, I actually have no drawing yet, I simply have two Copal 0 shutters that are assembled on a single lens board, with lens centers only 73mm apart. The shutter hammers are faced away from each other, hence why I am trying to come up with a permanent cable assembly, between the two. Then I fire just one with a normal, screw-in cable release. However, there is other possiblities...for example, you mentioned, pull cables.... if we can pull each cable, then its possible we can pull the hammers back, instead of pushing it. Not sure if there is an advantage to this.

Acutally, syncing two copal shutters, assuming new and in good condition, is relatively easy, as they are very consistent in their mechanical workings. I have synced them with standard dual cable releases up to their max. of 1/500th second, but this is not a permanent solution as you have to adust the cable screw-in adjustment each time (which works very well) till the lenses sync. However, then, the smallest movements of the cables, changes the throw feed rate of each cable, loosing sync. The cable path is very sensitive. Hence why I need a permanent solution which is permanetly attatched to the lens board, never to be removed. Then I will simply screw in a standard cable release to fire one shutter, or into a block, which has 2 cables that fire both shutters....

A simple solution is two short cables (approx. 8") which have plungers on both their ends. One end would screw into the shutter as normal. The other end into a machined metal block, permanetly affixed to the lens board. The machined block will accept a standard cable release to initiate the action. This master cable release will push a single bar inside the block. The bottom of this bar will will push both plungers to fire each shutter. The plunger itself will be pushed by recessed screws in the bar. By adjusting these screws, it varies the individual timing of each plunger till lens sync is acheived.

Bob, if you have a source for this, I can make a drawign and email it to you? Please advise...

As for pneumatic, its possible, but just like air solenoids, the weakness is often the solenoid itself. I have tested several of them, and they cause way too much motion / vibration when the solenoid engages. Mechanical cable releases are quite nice for this purpose, hence their use for 150 years. All the bits and pieces needed to accomplish this currently exist, (except the block, which I can have made) but, not in the lengths and sizes I need them.