Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY 5 1/2 x 14 'cause, why not

DIY 5 1/2 x 14 'cause, why not

I've been feeling a bit bored lately, weather has not cooperated enough to get outdoors to shoot, I'm not a real fan of still life, and I have a pile of 11x14 X ray film. First order of business is building a film slitter to cut my film down. I should have that finished by tomorrow or the day after. Then, I have to make a film holder. I visited a friend's shop, bought a pile of different doll house mouldings in various shapes and sizes that should facilitate the holder. Lastly, I will cobble up a body to accept the holder. I think for now, it will be a pinhole camera. If I like the format, I may try my hand at fabricating a bellows and utilize some ULF lenses I have on hand.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Re: DIY 5 1/2 x 14 'cause, why not

Like!
    Tin Can

I am using a modified darkslide to get two 5.5x14s on a sheet of 11x14. Getting the hang of it -- lovely negatives on a light table!

Zion, Grotto Cabin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrottoNeg1.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am using a modified darkslide to get two 5.5x14s on a sheet of 11x14. Getting the hang of it -- lovely negatives on a light table!

Zion, Grotto Cabin
    Wow! Great shot. I'm enamored with the aspect ratio, can't wait to get it finished and start shooting it. I love panoramas, but the medium format cameras are both too small, and too expensive.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Not the best Photoshop inversion of the negative, but the neg is beautiful! My most recent use of the 5.5x14. I found that it is best to frame the image on the upper half of the GG, as the modified darkslide sits flatter that way.

Chubb Creek, 2019
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChubbCreek5x14Invert.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I've got a 5.5”x14” pinhole camera, haven’t used it a whole lot cause you can only lot one sheet of film/paper. Turns out I do much better with film holders. Nice format and certainly makes good use of a sheet of 11x14.

Roger

Guess I will just have to get out more with my little 5x12. But I Sure do miss my 7x17.

Beautiful !

Not the best Photoshop inversion of the negative, but the neg is beautiful! My most recent use of the 5.5x14. I found that it is best to frame the image on the upper half of the GG, as the modified darkslide sits flatter that way.

Chubb Creek, 2019

Rick -- don't forget verticals! I have made some 4x10 and 7x17 verticals, but none yet as 5.5x14. A camera light enough could be tipped over with the tripod head for verticals (if the design is a horizontal-only design).

A few verticals I have shown before (one 7x17 of the boy, and two 4x10s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1RedwoodBoysOlder.jpg   BV Falls19inch-2.jpg   Girders_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg  

Rick -- don't forget verticals! I have made some 4x10 and 7x17 verticals, but none yet as 5.5x14. A camera light enough could be tipped over with the tripod head for verticals (if the design is a horizontal-only design).

A few verticals I have shown before (one 7x17 of the boy, and two 4x10s)
    Those are stunning. I plan on two mounts, one for each orientation. I have the film slicer finished. My guillotine cutter only cuts up to 12 inches, so I repurposed a drafting board and T square with some guides so I can use it in the dark with repeatable results. I'm working on the film holder, two sided. I'm having my house resided so the contractor has some decent aluminum stock to use for the dark slides. Life is good.

The Dexter cutter rides against the rail on the T square with blade in vertical position, slicing the film in half lengthwise. The film nestles inside locators and the T square fits between stops. I think I'll glue some fabric on the underside of the square so I don't scratch the film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian