Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jobo CPP2 Motor Malfunction

Re: Jobo CPP2 Motor Malfunction

This may be a little late to ask. Are you sure you have the right amperage fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    This may be a little late to ask. Are you sure you have the right amperage fuse?
    Looks like the drawing calls for a 6.3 A fuse?? I'm not sure that's what it is it looks like it's right before the power switch. Again? ??

This is no help whatsoever but your problem reminds me of a friend of mine who could not figure out a problem with a short on his car. He resorted to putting a nail across the fuse and watched for the smoke. He found the fault to be a short in the wiring harness where the tailgate hinged onto the car. He got to the point were he was so frustrated that he did not care anymore if the car burst into flames and was totally destroyed. Hope you have the patience to sort out your problem, have you checked the bridge rectifier that changes the current from 110v to 24v ?

Jim Korpi

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    This is no help whatsoever but your problem reminds me of a friend of mine who could not figure out a problem with a short on his car. He resorted to putting a nail across the fuse and watched for the smoke. He found the fault to be a short in the wiring harness where the tailgate hinged onto the car. He got to the point were he was so frustrated that he did not care anymore if the car burst into flames and was totally destroyed. Hope you have the patience to sort out your problem, have you checked the bridge rectifier that changes the current from 110v to 24v ?
    Good Old Norm.
    This is hilarious and poignant. I was looking at the boards of this machine with a electrical genius the other day and he said to me, "You can hook power to just this and see if it melts. That will tell you if it's gone." I looked at him startled. Here is a guy who 10 minutes earlier spoke a form of electrical language that sounded a bit like Mandarin, and now he's talking my language, that of the country people more comfortable with a screw drive on a carb than a soldering iron on a circuit board.

None the less, I took my desoldering gun to about everything on the motor switch board and tested it all with a multimeter. Everything I touched seemed good as gold. I then realized the wiring harness between the two switch boards had broken free from one switch board and a few wires were broken off the other. After desoldering and cleaning up the mess, I rebuilt the wiring harness, put things back together and plugged the son-of-a... in. VIOLA! Motor spun. No smoke, no melting, no blown fuse. I'm back up and running.

Lesson to those reading this; If you run into something you know little about, press on! Learn the language. Learn from your lack of understanding. Remember the words the great thinker/writer Wendell Berry said, "Do something today that doesn't add up."

Jim Korpi

Duolab,
    Yep. The right fuse. If I found that to be the issue at this point I would have surely walked into a river with stones in my pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by jkorpi View Post
    Good Old Norm.
    This is hilarious and poignant. I was looking at the boards of this machine with a electrical genius the other day and he said to me, "You can hook power to just this and see if it melts. That will tell you if it's gone." I looked at him startled. Here is a guy who 10 minutes earlier spoke a form of electrical language that sounded a bit like Mandarin, and now he's talking my language, that of the country people more comfortable with a screw drive on a carb than a soldering iron on a circuit board.

None the less, I took my desoldering gun to about everything on the motor switch board and tested it all with a multimeter. Everything I touched seemed good as gold. I then realized the wiring harness between the two switch boards had broken free from one switch board and a few wires were broken off the other. After desoldering and cleaning up the mess, I rebuilt the wiring harness, put things back together and plugged the son-of-a... in. VIOLA! Motor spun. No smoke, no melting, no blown fuse. I'm back up and running.

Lesson to those reading this; If you run into something you know little about, press on! Learn the language. Learn from your lack of understanding. Remember the words the great thinker/writer Wendell Berry said, "Do something today that doesn't add up."
    I moved my studio to a new building, for me-not the building, I needed some new outlets installed in the darkroom area. So I hired a licensed electrician that was recommended by the towns building inspector. Electrician showed up, looked at where the new outlets were needed. Mounted the sockets and ran the wire to an outlet by my desk. I asked him if he wanted me to pull the fuse. He said no, pulled out a mother of all screwdrivers, shorted the live outlet, hooked up the wires and left me to reset the tripped breaker!

Well done Jim, just goes to show a bit of perseverance goes a long way!

Mike

Good Old Norm.

Pleased for you, I hate unsolved problems, you have took it on learned a lot and got a positive out outcome. Also your post will help others :-)

Duolab,
    Yep. The right fuse. If I found that to be the issue at this point I would have surely walked into a river with stones in my pockets.
    Nope, stay away from the river. Don't ever underestimate our ability to not see the obvious. Last night I was taking pictures of my cats drinking out of the sink in our "guest bath" sounds better than the hall toilet. I have my new latest and greatest Nikon 70-200 zoom in play, I've had it for less than a week. I backed up to achieve minimum focus distance, fell butt first into the (empty) bathtub. Good thing it's a VR lens! No damage to the lens, I have a big bruise where I carry my wallet

That's just great you got your machine going.
    Never surrender!