Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPP2 Motor Malfunction

Re: Jobo CPP2 Motor Malfunction

The motor I installed was a 37mm 24v DC 60rpm replacement high torque motor from ebay seller Xyfs-us see pic. I had to fit a motor shaft coupler to extend the shaft and make some spacers to fit between the motor and the jobo case. This is a cpe 2 not a cpp2 apologies for my confusion I thought the cpp2 was just an upgrade with better temp. control. The cpp2 has a far bigger and more powerful motor it looks like a wiper motor from a truck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190520_192231_hdr.jpg   IMG_20190520_192255_hdr.jpg  
    Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 22-May-2019 at 01:43.

I think I see what’s going on. According to Jobos website there were motor upgrades throughout its production. I’m assuming you have either the beginning production model or the 1st upgrade model. Curious to know which one you have as the motor on my functional CPP2 (1st upgrade) is getting pretty sluggish turning my expert 3006.

Pictures is the motor from my non-functional CPP2 (2nd upgrade)

*from Jobo’s website

Introduction

Newer systems, like the 3000 series EXPERT Drums, require increased strength in the rotation motor circuit. This extra load can make the rotation speed of the tank or drum sluggish or make it seem to struggle with heavier loads. The 3000 series EXPERT Drums create the heaviest possible load for the rotation motor circuit.

Beginning production of the CPP and CPA had a single-bearing rotation motor.
    CPP Serial # ARXXXX - 10593
    CPA Serial # ARXXXX - 10312

1st Upgrade: The single-bearing rotation motor was replaced by a double-bearing rotation motor.
    CPP Serial # 10594 - 20455
    CPA Serial # 10313 - 13309

2nd Upgrade: The rotation motor circuit was strengthened to accommodate larger loads, that is, 3000 series EXPERT Drums.
    CPP Serial # 20456 - 21999
    CPA Serial # 13310 - 21999

3rd Upgrade: A stronger rotation motor (the same as in the ATLs) was introduced and the rotation-motor circuit was strengthened to accommodate the new motor.
    CPP Serial # 22000 - present
    CPA Serial # 22000 - present

Jim Korpi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3700.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	196533Hey all.
    I've researched this problem thoroughly and tested just about everything including my patience and willpower. Basically I'm at the point where I think the DC transformer isn't functioning properly. Does anyone know a good way of testing this transformer AND where I can find a replacement?
    Thank you so much for any help. I'm at my wits-end.
    Hopefully,
    Jim Korpi

My CPP2 has the 2nd upgrade, it's still working, even turning Expert tanks. Long story short I have a CPP3 on order from Catlabs. All the old stuff has obsolete electronic components. The switches are getting old, I replaced the rotation switch on mine. I got the part from Catlabs, it's not a factory part because those are long gone.

I bought my CPP2 used, it's been used professionally before I got it. I'm glad Jobo is still around, I feel it's important to support the industry. This is part of my retirement gift to myself. If it lasts as long as my current unit has, I'm good to 93!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkorpi View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3700.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	196533Hey all.
    I've researched this problem thoroughly and tested just about everything including my patience and willpower. Basically I'm at the point where I think the DC transformer isn't functioning properly. Does anyone know a good way of testing this transformer AND where I can find a replacement?
    Thank you so much for any help. I'm at my wits-end.
    Hopefully,
    Jim Korpi
    Jim, You should be able to test the transformer with a multimeter.....very carefully as the input (115VAC), the primary (20VAC-1.6A) and secondary (10VAC-0.4A) outputs are marked.

If you wire up the inputs, your meter should measure the outputs....just be very careful with the live inputs.

Normally when a transformer fails, it's evident through overheating and damage.

Mike

Jim Korpi

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Jim, You should be able to test the transformer with a multimeter.....very carefully as the input (115VAC), the primary (20VAC-1.6A) and secondary (10VAC-0.4A) outputs are marked.

If you wire up the inputs, your meter should measure the outputs....just be very careful with the live inputs.

Normally when a transformer fails, it's evident through overheating and damage.

Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks a bunch for these thoughts. I'll try it today and let you know how it goes. I have tested the resistance on the primary and secondary and everything seems fine. Also there does not seem to be any physical evidence of overheating of damage.
    If this does test fine, and I put it back in, do you have any thoughts on why when I turn the motor switch on the motor doesn't move and then the motor fuse heats up and continues to blow? As I said in earlier posts, I've replaced the two rectifiers, thinking it could be those... But it didn't solve the issue.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.
    Jim

Jim,

If you keep blowing fuses when you turn the motor on, then the motor may be seized (or there may be a short in the power supply to the motor).

If you can't turn the motor by hand, then you'll need to remove the motor and replace or dismantle it to find out why it won't turn.

I suggest removing the motor (i assume it's the tank-turning motor and not the water pump motor) and taking the cover off of the gearbox to see if there is anything stopping the motor.

Once you have the motor out and disconnected, your meter should be able to tell you if the motor supply is good (and therefore the problem lies elsewhere). Remember to check the reverse switch too.

Mike

Jim Korpi

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Jim,

If you keep blowing fuses when you turn the motor on, then the motor may be seized (or there may be a short in the power supply to the motor).

If you can't turn the motor by hand, then you'll need to remove the motor and replace or dismantle it to find out why it won't turn.

I suggest removing the motor (i assume it's the tank-turning motor and not the water pump motor) and taking the cover off of the gearbox to see if there is anything stopping the motor.

Once you have the motor out and disconnected, your meter should be able to tell you if the motor supply is good (and therefore the problem lies elsewhere). Remember to check the reverse switch too.

Mike
    Mike,
    Just curious, can I hard wire the transformer to a power cord and just plug it in to get a reading of the output? I'm just curious because the power coming out of my wall socket has a reading of 133v while the transformer says 115v on it, so I wasn't sure if I would fry something...
    Curiously,
    Jim

Hi Jim, If you're in the US, then your nominal mains voltage is 110VAC.

I would avoid hard-wiring the transformer to the mains as there may be line conditioners etc cleaning the supply before it reaches the transformer.

Changing the wiring may lead you down the wrong track, so best keep the wiring as designed by Jobo and fault trace from there.

Again, be careful......if you are unsure, don't mess about with this stuff, it can kill you.

Mike

I had the same problem 20+ years ago. I removed the motor and took it to a small electric repair shop where it was rewound. It never failed as long as I had the unit. Suchsmall repair places are probably more difficult to locate today,but they can be a valuable resource.