Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravure

Re: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravu

How well does the inkjet dither deliver the hard dot that gravure needs?

Re: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravu

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Hi David,

I've never seen a photogravure, let alone make one, but I have a question.

How is "open bite" avoided in dark areas without using an aquatint screen? Is it some sort of printer dithering pattern magic?

P.S. Have they given you a hero badge for the intuitive leap of logic and tenacity in coming up with SLIMT yet?

Murray
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I just don't get notices even though I have set it up to do so.

I use a direct-to-plate approach with an Epson printer. The 'aquatint' screen is part of the image. You don't even have to think about it. It is automatic with the image exposure and always correct. Couldn't be easier.
    As for my hero badge.. still waiting. Expecting it any day now. I know the ticker tape parade will happen any time. Hmmmmm!
    The problem with Selective Latent Image Manipulation Techniques is that they are far too complicated for millennials. You know, pre-soak in a SLIMT bath instead of water!! They just can't handle anything that complex!!! ;-)
    David Kachel
    www.davidkachel.com
    Author: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    How well does the inkjet dither deliver the hard dot that gravure needs?
    More apologies for not seeing this sooner. The inkjet dither is perfection. Never a single problem, EVER!!
    David Kachel
    www.davidkachel.com

Boost. C'mon guys, photographers have been waiting 100 years for this gigantic advancement. Your blind, arthritic aunt Tillie can make photogravures with this approach.
    If they haven't been waiting in large format photography, where could they possibly be? ;-)
    David Kachel
    www.davidkachel.com

I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to say that after a week of failing to make a polymer photogravure using the standard 2-exposure method, I saw this comment and tested directly printing the image on the plate with my Epson p900 and it works very well.

David actually wrote a book on this, which I wish I had discovered before wasting a week and $100 on plates:
    http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page_id=593

He also has written a set of truly excellent articles, which I have enjoyed reading and have greatly increased my understanding of the technical aspects of photography:
    http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page_id=8

Thank you, David!

Be sure to find the article "Ban the Bedsheets" if you want a good chuckle and some interesting thoughts about print size. If you are overly sensitive and print large, skip it.

These are lovely, Hendrik.

This looks very interesting. I'm assuming this means workers can avoid the current shortage of polymer plates (caused by the CPU chip shortage) and still practice photogravure?