Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravure

NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravure

My apologies for not posting this a couple of months ago, but better late than never.

My new book: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure"

Not only is this new process far cheaper than copper plate or the readymade polymer plates, it is also much simpler. If you have shied away from photogravure in the past because of the difficulty and expense, you need't do so any longer. For example: a 5x7 plate costs less than one dollar to prepare! And, there is no sacrifice in quality, at all. Make photogravures from any image, film or digital. Even the book is cheap! ($29.99) 440+ pp. PDF format only.

You can see the book description (and purchase it) on my web site:

http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page...uBcAjO6Tl8UT2w

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-01-29-at-11.03.17-AM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	190087

Re: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravu

Just bought the book.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravu

Quote Originally Posted by davidkachel View Post
    My apologies for not posting this a couple of months ago, but better late than never.

My new book: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure"

Not only is this new process far cheaper than copper plate or the readymade polymer plates, it is also much simpler. If you have shied away from photogravure in the past because of the difficulty and expense, you need't do so any longer. For example: a 5x7 plate costs less than one dollar to prepare! And, there is no sacrifice in quality, at all. Make photogravures from any image, film or digital. Even the book is cheap! ($29.99) 440+ pp. PDF format only.

You can see the book description (and purchase it) on my web site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-01-29-at-11.03.17-AM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	190087
    the book is worth every pence
    And yet, there stays a difference between copper and plastic

Read the story.

Bought the book.

I know I will need a press...

Hendrik!

pm soon, nogard's story
    Tin Can

OK, I am curious but really, what is the basic idea of the process? What does the "direct to plate" mean? Are you printing directly on the plate with an ink-jet printer? Or does it require digital negatives only? I do think it would be fine to include this basic information. I am interested in photogravure - well, the real stuff, ideally - but for some reasons I only work with in camera negatives - I don't scan them and make digi-negs. Is this process feasible in this conditions?
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Direct-to-Plate means that instead of making an enlarged film positive (the films used to make positives for the photogravure process no longer exist), a temporary positive image is printed directly onto the plate with an inkjet printer, the plate is then exposed through that positive, the positive is subsequently washed off and the plate processed. The only other options are to make permanent instead of temporary positives with your inkjet printer, or make an enlarged film positive on whatever type of film you can find, 8x10 being the most likely maximum size.
    If you want "the real stuff", you will have to make copper plates in the traditional manner with all the expense and difficulty that entails.
    David Kachel
    www.davidkachel.com
    Author: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    OK, I am curious but really, what is the basic idea of the process? What does the "direct to plate" mean? Are you printing directly on the plate with an ink-jet printer? Or does it require digital negatives only? I do think it would be fine to include this basic information. I am interested in photogravure - well, the real stuff, ideally - but for some reasons I only work with in camera negatives - I don't scan them and make digi-negs. Is this process feasible in this conditions?
    Andreios, you work 8x10inch - best condition. make a low to medium contrast contact copy and you will get results in the traditional procedure.
    Maybe not the results you expected, but...
    Have a look at . I made all héliogravures without any computer stuff.
    Text is french, but there is an english version (without music): https://issuu.com/royalphotographics...e_issue_6_0418
    page 6-16.

We can make direct to positive on X-Ray film up to 14X36 and 14X17.

I will never buy an Inkjet printer again as my usage is too low to maintain one.
    Tin Can

Just a nudge.
    David Kachel
    www.davidkachel.com
    Author: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure

Quote Originally Posted by davidkachel View Post
    Just a nudge.
    Hi David,

I've never seen a photogravure, let alone make one, but I have a question.

How is "open bite" avoided in dark areas without using an aquatint screen? Is it some sort of printer dithering pattern magic?

P.S. Have they given you a hero badge for the intuitive leap of logic and tenacity in coming up with SLIMT yet?

Murray