Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangefinder 4x5

Re: Rangefinder 4x5

Crown would be the best choice in many ways. That said, the Chamonix Saber is a fantastic camera, and would be ideal (and better than the crown) for the use you descirbe, though it's best with a 120mm (or maybe 135mm) lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    For completeness: the lightest weight 4x5's you're going to find with coupled rangefinder will be Polaroid conversions (I'm counting the Chamonix Saber as a flavor of Polaroid conversion). These have their own handling quirks and limitations, need a single lens to be dedicated (can't adjust the RF on the fly), and I'm not sure a 180 is practical - generally you'll find these with semi-wide lenses, and I can't recall seeing one with longer than a 150. But if light weight is an important criterion, they're worth considering.
    I think the late Dean Jones told me he somehow got a 180mm in a Polaroid 900 conversion (Razzle). My Razzle has a 150mm. It is a wonderful camera for the size and weight. I think the 110As and Bs were better suited for wide angle lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    I think the late Dean Jones told me he somehow got a 180mm in a Polaroid 900 conversion (Razzle). My Razzle has a 150mm. It is a wonderful camera for the size and weight. I think the 110As and Bs were better suited for wide angle lenses.

Yep. I love these and have admired them online many times, but yes, wider than I'm interested it.

IMO, if you don't want to mess with the side RF, why not send it to someone to calibrate it for you?

I have calibrated them for Aero Ektar lenses (178mm) and it is in fact a pain. But doable. I found from doing many Speed/Aero builds that sometimes the RF just would not calibrate with the lens, and switching out to a new RF fixed the problem. Something in the manufacturing/tolerance just didn't work. I bought a few extra RF assemblies on eBay and here in the classifieds back then.

I'm not advertising to do it BTW, I have no interest, but I'm sure there are repair shops out there doing this service.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Maybe that was my problem.

I gave up trying to calibrate my very nice 4x5 Speed.

I have a spare RF and the battle will begin anew, someday...

I have a 2X3 Speed and a Pressman that were barely used. THEY WORK!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    IMO, if you don't want to mess with the side RF, why not send it to someone to calibrate it for you?

I have calibrated them for Aero Ektar lenses (178mm) and it is in fact a pain. But doable. I found from doing many Speed/Aero builds that sometimes the RF just would not calibrate with the lens, and switching out to a new RF fixed the problem. Something in the manufacturing/tolerance just didn't work. I bought a few extra RF assemblies on eBay and here in the classifieds back then.

I'm not advertising to do it BTW, I have no interest, but I'm sure there are repair shops out there doing this service.
    Tin Can

Agreed, calibrating the Kalart for an AE is a painful amount of work, but doable. I've done it a few times, it's always a challenge, but super nice and useful when done right.