Thread: Memorial for Michael A. Smith *Sunday April 14, 2019*

Memorial for Michael A. Smith *Sunday April 14, 2019*

Hi everyone,

I spoke with Paula this morning, and she asked me to remind people I know and interact with that the memorial event for Michael is tomorrow, Sunday April 14, 2019 from 2-4 pm

Michener Art Museum
    138 South Pine Street
    Doylestown, PA 18901
    https://www.michenerartmuseum.org/

I spent 7 weeks with Michael and Paula, assisting them during their 2010 trip to Iceland. I sure learned a heck of a lot, looking back, and many of the methods I still use to this day were started due to their influence. I sure do wish I had the ability to attend this event. Alas, I'm on the opposite coast so I won't be able to go due to logistics.
    However, I would encourage any locals who have gained something from Michaels(or Paulas!) writings, methods, or products such as Lodima paper, to attend.

Paula has a LOT on her plate, and is very busy maintaining not only the Lodima materials business(paper, archival supplies, etc), but also working on a book project of Michaels.

-Dan

Re: Memorial for Michael A. Smith *Sunday April 14, 2019*

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Hi everyone,

I spoke with Paula this morning, and she asked me to remind people I know and interact with that the memorial event for Michael is tomorrow, Sunday April 14, 2019 from 2-4 pm

Michener Art Museum
    138 South Pine Street
    Doylestown, PA 18901
    https://www.michenerartmuseum.org/

I spent 7 weeks with Michael and Paula, assisting them during their 2010 trip to Iceland. I sure learned a heck of a lot, looking back, and many of the methods I still use to this day were started due to their influence. I sure do wish I had the ability to attend this event. Alas, I'm on the opposite coast so I won't be able to go due to logistics.
    However, I would encourage any locals who have gained something from Michaels(or Paulas!) writings, methods, or products such as Lodima paper, to attend.

Paula has a LOT on her plate, and is very busy maintaining not only the Lodima materials business(paper, archival supplies, etc), but also working on a book project of Michaels.

-Dan
    Spent a week with them a few years back in their darkroom as well as a workshop and they stayed at my home outside of Denver a few times on various trips out West. Wish I had the capability of being there as well. Michael was a very gracious and unique individual and always had a passion for his calling in life. Paula is a gemstone that has been cut with precision over the years and shines graciously.

I saw one of their last exhibitions in Highland Park IL, with Peter De Smidt and his wife.

We left before a private luncheon honoring them both.

So we never met, but I do have Lodima paper and have studied their website for 5 years.

RIP
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Spent a week with them a few years back in their darkroom as well as a workshop and they stayed at my home outside of Denver a few times on various trips out West. Wish I had the capability of being there as well. Michael was a very gracious and unique individual and always had a passion for his calling in life. Paula is a gemstone that has been cut with precision over the years and shines graciously.
    Very well said. I have fond memories of their visits to our home, and the four-hour lunches with lively discussion. I wish I could be there today.

It was a truly fitting memorial for Michael. Quite a few luminaries from the photographic world came to pay their respects. I met Paula's sister and her daughter. No words can Express the emotions felt in that room. Afterwards we all moved to Michael's house for a get together. I made some new friends and reconnected with some old ones.
    Thank you Michael for your contributions throughout the years and all those going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    It was a truly fitting memorial for Michael. Quite a few luminaries from the photographic world came to pay their respects. I met Paula's sister and her daughter. No words can Express the emotions felt in that room. Afterwards we all moved to Michael's house for a get together. I made some new friends and reconnected with some old ones.
    Thank you Michael for your contributions throughout the years and all those going forward.
    Indeed, thank you Michael.

And, thank you Peter for reporting your time at the memorial. I had no doubt that it would be well attended.

There is a bright future for what Michael and Paula accomplished together. It is in good hands.

Merg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Very well said. I would like to have participated in one of their workshops.