Thread: Dark corner on bottom left of the negative

Dark corner on bottom left of the negative

I'm quite new to large format photography. I just developed two negatives for testing and the bottom left corner is lighter on both negatives (so it will be darker in the final photo).
    I can share images tomorrow as my scanner hasn't arrived yet, but I'd like to get any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

The rest of the negative is just fine. In both cases I've only used a lens with CF filter; I'm not seeing the any dark corners on the ground glass.

Thank you,
    Last edited by rpagliari; 13-Apr-2019 at 19:57.

Re: Dark corner on bottom left of the negative

The pics may shed light, but, what format? How did you develop them? Was this your first developing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    The pics may shed light, but, what format? How did you develop them? Was this your first developing?
    It's 4x5 format with a schneider 75mm super angulon and CF filter. It is my first development with 4x5 but I have experience developing 35mm and 120.

I developed tmax 100 with DDX and stop/fixer, all by Ilford, using the sp445 tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    The pics may shed light,
    I bet the camera sheds some light (when it shouldn't).

I just realised I'm not using the bag bellows when I should (front and rear are too close and I'm using a 75mm lens). Could that be the issue?

No -- if the negs are dark in one corner, dark indicates a light leak -- if the area is clear, then light is being blocked from hitting that area (such as from the bellows blocking part of the light).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    No -- if the negs are dark in one corner, dark indicates a light leak -- if the area is clear, then light is being blocked from hitting that area (such as from the bellows blocking part of the light).
    Actually, I have to edit my post. That one corner is brighter on the negative, which means it will be darker in the photo. Apologies for the confusion.

I kinda of thought that. Does your GG have cut corners? Many do not like cut corners on their GG, but it is an easy way to check if the light path from the lens to the corners is clear of obstructions -- and to check that one is going to have full illumination in the corners.

So the bellows probably did block some light heading to that corner (if you had used too much movements, both corners probably would have been clear.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China