Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Trimming" a Bill Maxwell screen to size

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: "Trimming" a Bill Maxwell screen to size

Is modifying the back to fit the screen completely out of the question? It's a one-way street, of course, but from what I've heard about the Maxwell screens (I've never seen one "in the flesh") you'll never want to go back anyway. Richard Ritter could do the mod for you.

At one point Bill sold me a substantial pile of his "seconds" pretty cheaply. He recommended cutting them on a band saw, which I do have in mini form.

I discovered that a variable speed bench grinder does a nice job of buzzing them down.

At the time I was fitting them into Pentacon Sixes and Exakta 66's.

Center the fresnel and take equal amounts off the ends. You could also use fine sandpaper and do it by hand.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Yes, these screens are very easily marred. I don't know if his medium format screens are from even the same fresnel vendor or not, but those you can cut down easily enough with just a box cutter with repeated passes or if you are impatient then a miter saw. I had one for Rolleiflex TLR that a customer changed their mind on so I cut it down to fit my Reflex Korelle. Just cover up the portion you want to keep and take your time. It helps a lot to set up the work surface such that the screen can't slide.