Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Trimming" a Bill Maxwell screen to size

"Trimming" a Bill Maxwell screen to size

Hello!

Suppose your best friend and colleague is willing to give you his spare Ultra Brilliant Hi Lux screen by Bill Maxwell almost for free.

But it's long by 2 mm, because your friend was using an Ebony and you have a Wista 45.

Is there something you can do about it? It would obviously seem easier to cut the screen, rather than trying cutting the graflok back it is sitting in.

But of course, I don't want to ruin it.

I very much appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks

Re: "Trimming" a Bill Maxwell screen to size

Quote Originally Posted by nicemate1 View Post
    But of course, I don't want to ruin it.

I very much appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks
    Hmm. Then cut it in the way that doesn't ruin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Hmm. Then cut it in the way that doesn't ruin it!
    Yes, of course! But how ? I've never done anything quite like it. Should I use scissors? A cutter ? Precision Laser? I think it is a plastic based material.

Thanks

Yes, of course! But how ? I've never done anything quite like it. Should I use scissors? A cutter ? Precision Laser? I think it is a plastic based material.

Thanks
    Take it to a plastic supply house and have then take an equal amount off each end, or have them show you how to do it.

Have the glass cut by a professional, the plastic by a cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Take it to a plastic supply house and have then take an equal amount off each end, or have them show you how to do it.
    Provided they know how fragile plastic Fresnel lenses are - I would not bet on it. It's not the cutting that is problem, rather the handling of the grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Provided they know how fragile plastic Fresnel lenses are - I would not bet on it. It's not the cutting that is problem, rather the handling of the grooves.
    I am sorry but could you elaborate a bit more, so I can understand? What do you mean by "the handling of the grooves" ? Thank you so much

Send it to Bill Maxwell.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I am sorry but could you elaborate a bit more, so I can understand? What do you mean by "the handling of the grooves" ? Thank you so much
    The Fresnel part has grooves that are easily damaged by rougher handling. Best to send it to Maxwell indeed, because you don't know the details enough.

If it is plastic, then its probably soft enough to trim it with woodworking hand plane. Of course you need a sharp plane or better a block plane and some understanding in the woodworking, or at list check some videos on the YouTube about building a shutting board and trimming the edges of the wooden planks. Wrap your screen in something soft, only living the edge exposed, improvise kind of a simple shutting board (this is not difficult) and trim you screen from as many sides as you need. I did approximately the same once, when I was fitting the Graflex Fresnel lens in the Shen Hao. The lens was a bit fick for the Shen Hao so I plane a rabbets on the sides in order to fit it in place.