Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF beginner Film

LF beginner Film

I've been shooting and developing 35mm and 120 C-41 and B&W with a Jobo for a while. Had kind of settled on Delta 400 as my main B&W and Portra 400 in C41. Works fine and I feel like after cranking a lot through, it's a stable process.

So I'm a beginner at 4X5, and am thinking from Ilford's own tech sheets that FP4+ might be more "forgiving" in exposure and development than Delta 100. I'd not really found FP4+ or Delta all that much different in terms of difficulty with exposure in the small formats, so I kind of wonder about all this. Granted, the bellows factor and s-effect, tilt, swing and all that with 4X5 have me admitting that there might really be something to the "mo' bettah lattitude" argument. And I say this because I expect to make plenty of mistakes. It's how I learn.

SO what's my question? What do folks REALLY find in shooting? Is Delta really less forgiving? Does FP4+ really have better tonality and wider lattitude? Which would you recommend for a 4X5 newby?

Thanks!

Re: LF beginner Film

Whatever you can get cheaper between the two will probably be fine until you decide you like or don't like it. I personally like Delta 100 a lot in Pyrocat. I haven't shot enough FP4+ to really compare seriously but in HC-110 it seems to have a bit more grain - which is mostly irrelevant in LF. I wouldn't say FP4+ has "better tonality" as a rule, but it probably does have wider latitude.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You'll get a lot of opinions and strong views on this... It rarely ends well.

For what it's worth, I compared Ilford HP5+ to Kodak TMAX 400 and decided on the latter. I found that TMAX 400 in XTOL was more forgiving than HP5+. My highlights are safer with TMX 400. The down side is that it's quite a bit more expensive than HP5+, and it requires a more precise and consistent workflow. I used to shoot a lot of FP4+ so I tried some of that too when I came back to film last year. I'm not going to buy another box. For my purposes, I don't see any advantages over TMAX 400 in XTOL.

LF beginner Film

My two cents: pick something you think will be available for some time to come. I’d also go with a faster film, say ISO 400, so that you have more flexibility with wind or interiors. At 4x5 grain isn’t an issue with the faster film. I’m partial to Tri-X 320, but HP5+ is probably a more durable long term option and cheaper.
    Last edited by angusparker; 10-Apr-2019 at 19:19.

I find FP-4+ and HP-5+ to be very forgiving and a pleasure to work with. I haven't tried Delta so I cannot comment on it. If reciprocity isn't expected to raise it's ugly head Freestyle .edu Ultra 100 (Foma) is certainly do-able for less $$
    Kodak is excellent but I can get great results with Ilford as well.
    TMY is special stuff but wasting a sheet on a mistake is like experiencing a Greek Tragedy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

FWIW ISO 400 seems to have a more limited range of films: HP5, TMY and Bergger Pancro. The read I get on Foma is low quality control - including scratches and light leaks. I've tended to stay away in 35mm and 120. Yet with all the loading issues I'm likely to run into in the early going, 100 sheets of Foma couldn't kill anyone.

But aside from some snobbism there on my part against Foma, I kind of thought the game here in 4X5 land was long exposure with slow lenses. While that may be an oversimplification on my part, too, I'd be curious how many shoot "high" speed film? I see a LOT of FP4. Less Delta 100. (Sadly no Delta 400!!!) and plenty HP5. TMY seems to be more a 35mm and 120 thing? Kodak competes hard in 120 with TMY.... but not here.

>The read I get on Foma is low quality control - including scratches and light leaks
    I'm afraid that I have to agree on this, although not like leaks, but certainly coating/emulsion defects of various kinds. However; I've only seen these in 35mm and 120, and not in sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    FWIW ISO 400 seems to have a more limited range of films: HP5, TMY and Bergger Pancro. The read I get on Foma is low quality control - including scratches and light leaks. I've tended to stay away in 35mm and 120. Yet with all the loading issues I'm likely to run into in the early going, 100 sheets of Foma couldn't kill anyone.

But aside from some snobbism there on my part against Foma, I kind of thought the game here in 4X5 land was long exposure with slow lenses. While that may be an oversimplification on my part, too, I'd be curious how many shoot "high" speed film? I see a LOT of FP4. Less Delta 100. (Sadly no Delta 400!!!) and plenty HP5. TMY seems to be more a 35mm and 120 thing? Kodak competes hard in 120 with TMY.... but not here.
    Slow film is fine in bright light with no movement of the subject (or camera) but with long exposures comes reciprocity failure and the shakes. I usually set out with 50% "slow" film and 50% "fast" loaded in my holders and almost always come back with some or all of the slow unexposed. When your front standard is racked out to 400mm - 600mm on a field 4x5 you will think that perhaps you have a kite rather than a camera....and those damn leaves on the trees!

I'm the opposite. I prefer slow film for landscape work. Generally, under the canopy I usually shoot in, the 2-stop difference is negligible when it comes to wind (2 seconds vs. 8 seconds is no difference when the leaves are bobbing constantly from water flow). I'm also well acquainted with TMX so stick with it. HP5+ is fine though and I shoot that sometimes as well. Your preferences will develop once you start shooting. The films are slightly different from 120 to LF and you may find your tastes differ between formats.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Beyond the films previously suggested, consider out of date films for learning how to use your 4x5. Out of date films can some times be a bargain and work surprisingly well. In all cases, expect to burn a lot of film before getting proficient at using a 4x5 or any view camera as there are a lot of things that can go wrong in this image making process. From loading the film wrong side up, not setting the aperture before releasing the shutter, not focuses properly, camera movement, wrong exposure, film damage loading-unloading the film into the holders and into the development system of choice and much more.

One note, used Efke 5x7 once only to discover some sheets had pin holes in the emulsion !!!! Not pleased at all.

Once there is enough confidence gained, that is the time to consider using your previously fave films. This does not mean using your fave films for learning is not good, it is mostly an economic-cost choice.

Enjoy going up this learning curve, it will be bumpy but much fun and more can be ahead
    Bernice