Thread: Is there a source of "hardware" parts for vintage LF field cameras?

Is there a source of "hardware" parts for vintage LF field cameras?

I've been googling & searching this forum to no avail. Is there a source (website, or better yet, merchant) for brass and other (steel, leather, etc) parts/pieces for vintage (1800s - early 1900s) view cameras? Kodak/Korona/Grundlach, etc. Reclaimed/recycled originals are great, even "remakes" that pretty much match the style/esthetics of the originals will do.

I've seen posts on the DIY forum, etc. where people make their own bellows cameras from scratch, with or without a set of blueprints.

Any guidance or steering appreciated, alfredian

Re: Is there a source of "hardware" parts for vintage LF field cameras?

Up here in New England we have the Brimfield Flea Market happening 4 times a year.
    https://brimfieldantiquefleamarket.com/
    In the past have spent a day or two wandering around looking for LF and ULF equipment in terrible condition. Usually these items are not displayed on the tables but in boxes under the table. Always smile and ask the vendors. Several times nothing was on display but when I asked the vendor, he or she said that they had a box of items in the back of their trailer. They'd haul out a box of old photo equipment with none of the items priced, and I'd ask if I could make an offer for taking away the whole box. I'd make a reasonable offer, and it is usually accepted. One time the vendor brought out a bag of mostly dirty dusty Leicas, and I swear he would have taken a few 20 dollar bills for the bag... Took him aside and informed him of their value(s). He smiled, shook my hand, and then told me to just take one of the cameras as a thanks from him. Of course you will also come across many items that the vendor has astronomically priced, especially if the item(s) are metal and not worn wood.

The quick answer is no. Greg above gives a bit more detail. L

Other cameras...

I used to find a lot of junk on ebay. I'd bid on one item and the seller would throw in a box of old photography stuff. I don't know if they still do that.
    I've kept some of it in my own cannibal box where leaky film holders, undetermined lens boards, dark room doo-dads and backs reside until they can be rebuilt or used to repair an ailing piece of gear.
    It's my own private Davis Monthan AFB for camera junk (my family refers to it as the snake pit.)
    And I actually have gleaned some usable parts from the cannibal box when I needed them.
    The thing is, you've got to start your own collection. Photo flea markets are good places to look for things no one else wants---it's amazing how many parts for old wooden US built 5x7 cameras are interchangeable with old wooden US built 4x5 cameras.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I had Richard Ritter work on an old Japanese made Charten 5x7 including replacing the focusing rack and pinion gears and making a couple knobs. Here’s a link, scroll down to the bottom and look under “Custom Services Replacement parts”, there is also contact info at the bottom. https://www.lg4mat.net/page4.html

Roger

Did you check Micrtools?