Thread: Photoshop Q: Workflow from RAW, Desaturate or B&W Treatment?

Photoshop Q: Workflow from RAW, Desaturate or B&W Treatment?

I'm almost finished my online Ps course, and I have learned all kinds of neat stuff that I have no use for. (The course appears to be oriented to image-making for web, etc.) I want to take my RAW file and eventually produce a B&W print. How do I best make the RAW file look like the print I envision? How to do that in Ps? A basic workflow question.
    Thanks!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Re: Photoshop Q: Workflow from RAW, Desaturate or B&W Treatment?

You can be a little more creative about it by messing with each color individually. Sort of like filters -- lighten all reds or whatever.

That is about as technical as I can get.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: Photoshop Q: Workflow from RAW, Desaturate or B&W Treatment?

Use Camera Raw for overall adjustments. Output 16 bits per channel to Photoshop. Add. BW adjustment layer. Adjust to taste. Create two curve layers, one to dodge and one ti burn. Invert their layer masks. Paint with a low flow soft brush on the approrpate mask. When happy adjust overall contrast with a curve layer. Save full size with all layers in a working file folder. Flatten image. Resize to proper size for printing. Sharpen. Save fille in a to print folder. There is more, but that’s a rough outline.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know