Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where/how to get rid of an enlarger?

--

I have an enlarger I no longer use. It appears these are a dime-a-dozen so I get the impression that selling it would be difficult.

What are my choices as far as getting rid of the enlarger? Does anyone buy them for parts? I donated some LF equipment to a local arts school but they said they didn't need the enlarger.

Thank you

Jay
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 7-Apr-2019 at 10:18. Reason: Edited to remove specific item, retain general question

John Olsen

Re: --

Quote Originally Posted by ixodid View Post
    I have an enlarger I no longer use. It appears these are a dime-a-dozen so I get the impression that selling it would be difficult.

What are my choices as far as getting rid of the enlarger? Does anyone buy them for parts? I donated some LF equipment to a local arts school but they said they didn't need the enlarger.

Thank you

Jay
    It seems that quite a few of the many enlargers on offer are incomplete, disassembled or have been stored for a long while. If yours is complete and set up it might attract attention. Otherwise, it's off to the dump. Good luck on finding a new home for it.

Re: --

Quote Originally Posted by ixodid View Post

Thank you

Jay
    If it is complete, and is a decent enlarger, you might check with local schools to see if they would like to have it. That might also make it a taxable deduction for you.

Re: Where/how to get rid of an enlarger?

It does depend on what it is. Where it is.

Some enlargers are in demand.

Like this and older models, in demand. http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2016/12...comat-v35.html

2X3 enlargers are not in demand.

Some 4X5 are

Most 5x7 are as they are not much bigger than a 4X5.

8X10 aka 10X10 can be in demand in the right hipster hood. I sold one 2 years ago for $800 without a head and it was completely disassembled.

A working head is very important to most.
    Tin Can

Randy Moe: "A working head is very important to most."

I used to think that when I was younger. Nowadays, not so much.

In fact...
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Dig a hole in the back yard. Drop in enlarger. Fill it back up.

I wish you the best of luck... Even 10 years ago I had enormous trouble getting rid of a lovely Omega D5 XL with an Ilford Cold Light head, plus ALL the trimmings from a complete darkroom. Wet and dry side...

Eventually I got in touch with a student from the photography club at the local university. They took it all away. Hopefully it's still being used.

I doubt you'll find a university or college that will take it from you; they've probably downsized already, plus people who run those setups don't generally want a hodge podge of equipment.

Hate to see them go into the landfill. I’d at least try giving it away, Craigslist, Photrio, here in the classifieds after your 30 day waiting period. What format is it?

Roger

Drew Wiley

Depends on the specifics - make and model, size, condition, presence of critical accessories, and yes, location.

Yes, what kind of enlarger is it. Like saying I have a camera to get rid of...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.05.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	189806