Thread: Backpack or case for Technikardan 45S ?

Backpack or case for Technikardan 45S ?

I am interested in hearing from someone that has done some hiking with a Technikardan 45s and what kind of backpack or case worked out the best. Looking for something to hold the camera,2-3 lenses, normal and bag bellows,6-8 holders, loupe, meter dark cloth. Also, is it best to transport the camera in the stowed position with the lens removed? Never done any hiking with a 4x5 camera before. A little paranoid about protecting this camera since it has more exposed bits than a wood field camera.
    Any advice or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bibb

Re: Backpack or case for Technikardan 45S ?

That should add up to about 20 lb of gear. That seems like a lot to carry in a case. I have a toyo d45m in a small backpack. I carry around as much as you've described in your question. I don't have any special padding. It just fits in snugly in the upper compartment. The problem with these rail cameras is they are bulky, so there's a lot of wasted space around it. Your camera folds down more compactly than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbt View Post
    I am interested in hearing from someone that has done some hiking with a Technikardan 45s and what kind of backpack or case worked out the best. Looking for something to hold the camera,2-3 lenses, normal and bag bellows,6-8 holders, loupe, meter dark cloth. Also, is it best to transport the camera in the stowed position with the lens removed? Never done any hiking with a 4x5 camera before. A little paranoid about protecting this camera since it has more exposed bits than a wood field camera.
    Any advice or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bibb
    We wrapped it up, with a 90 4.5 or a 150 5.6 in the largest Novoflex wrap, those are the ones that stretch.

I have a TK45 and three lenses. I use an f-stop Anja backpack with Pro Large insert and it will handle what you described.

I use a Kelty Redwing backpack and wrap the camera in a large Domke wrap. Bob might disagree, but I also remove the bellows and keep both the normal and wide angle bellows together in a separate bag inside the pack. I am concerned about the corners of the bellows getting worn if left on the camera. I’d rather err on the side of caution Since it only takes a few seconds to remove/attach the bellows. I fold up the camera without a lens because it never occurred to me to do otherwise. I’ll have to take at which of my lenses can stay in place...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I use a Kelty Redwing backpack and wrap the camera in a large Domke wrap. Bob might disagree, but I also remove the bellows and keep both the normal and wide angle bellows together in a separate bag inside the pack. I am concerned about the corners of the bellows getting worn if left on the camera. I’d rather err on the side of caution Since it only takes a few seconds to remove/attach the bellows. I fold up the camera without a lens because it never occurred to me to do otherwise. I’ll have to take at which of my lenses can stay in place...
    We carried and shipped first the TK and then the S from its introduction till we closed our company, that’s well over 2 decades, to shows, demos, to sales reps, etc and just used a wrap. First the Linhof wrap which we bought from Domke and has become their largest wrap and then from Novoflex whose wraps are neoprene and stretch in all directions. Never removed the bellows from the cameras except to interchange them.

Had a TK years ago...and carried this with three or four lenses, twelve holders, bag bellows, dark cloth, meter, and filters - all fitted into a Pelican case, which was (just) compact enough to be allowed as carry-on luggage. This, when on location, I bungied (with tripod, water, food, foul weather gear, etc.) to an LL Bean's "Guides Frame," with extra bottom shelf. This whole outfit could weigh anywhere between thirty and fifty pounds - depending on circumstances. Worked wonderfully in terms of protecting gear from just about whatever. Great in the desert for helping to keep sand at bay.

Flash forward...no longer have the TK - and while I still have the above mentioned case and frame, I now, for the most part, use a Photo Backpacker P-3 backpack, which I absolutely love for the type of work I'm doing currently. The P-3 is also a bit lighter in weight and better suspended...which now makes a real difference to my aging bones!

Thing I found about working out of the Pelican was that, while all gear was immediately at hand, this gear was also equally and immediately vulnerable to the elements...whereas with the P-3 I can keep whatever gear I'm not currently using protected in various pockets/compartments while still reasonably accessible. While I think the learning curve with the P-3 was a bit longer (sorting out logistics/options), I now truly prefer it to the Pelican/Guides Frame combo. The PhotoBackpacker "system" has been truly well thought out by a person (thanks Bruce!) who truly walks the walk and knows whats important to LF users, so ultimately from a logistical perspective it makes lots of sense for me going forward. Having said this, if I were heading into a truly wet environment, needing to place gear onto wet/muddy ground, and/or packing into my canoe/kayak/some other boat...then I might still choose the Pelican.

PS...if you do decide to go the case route (Pelican, et al) - please also consider getting dividers, and not the "pick apart" foam. While the foam may seem more protective, it is really inefficient from a logistical perspective...plus the foam will ultimately absorb all sorts of stuff, which will ultimately start to infect your gear.

Wow ! Thank you for all the suggestions. I didn't figure I would get near this many replies. John, I hear you on the Pelican dividers. The pluck foam just isn't durable enough if you are removing and replacing items in the case very much. If you travel by air and it goes through TSA inspection, they tear the foam up in no time. I will look at the P-3 backpack. Bob, thank you for the tip on the Domke large wrap. I currently use them to wrap all my Nikon dslr bodies. I'm not sure if it is the large 19"x19" but I will check. I think mine are probably the mediums. I wasn't aware that Novoflex made camera wraps. I will check them out.