Thread: what are arista film users using?

Old School Wayne

what are arista film users using?

I found an old package of opened Arista 400 in 8x10 buried in the darkroom, so I've got a few sheets left...sob.. weep...wail...its been there for years and its the last one I'll see. What have the rest of your former 400 users switched to for a replacement? I didnt like the price of HP5 much when I looked-its even worse than when I was being cheap and buying Arista. I suppose I really should test all the other 400's out there but I'm still cheap and hope someone else has done that work for me. I'd love to buy the HP5 to support Ilford but 3 bucks a bang is just too much right now. I guess I'll do it if I have no choice for getting the HP5 look

I think the only "cheap" option right now is JandC 400 film. I have heard good things about it so it might be well worth your testing it.

Wayne,

The Efke PL 100 look is pretty spiffy if you can handle a slower film (and save the pricey 400 asa stuff for when you really need the speed!)

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yeah, but they haven't had the 8x10 in for a while and I've asked when so many times I think John is ingoring my emails now....

I think in part this sort of stuttering supply is how things are going to be in the future - stock up when you can get it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I just bit the proverbial bullet and bought another box of hp5. Cost me 75 bucks, including
    delivery from Calumet in Chicago. I was glad to save 15 bucks; I paid 90 bucks for the same thing delivered
    from Adorama. I would rather pay the going price for great film than save substantially and get
    something I am less than thrilled with. I don't know how Arista handles, but I am very happy with
    hp5 (although I'd be ecstatic with Fuji neopan 400, which is apparently unavailable in 8x10).

Old School Wayne

stock up when you can get it

anyone have a time machine I can borrow for a few minutes?

I've been thinking about trying the J and C, though someone said it was delicate in trays and I like to tray process. If it ever comes in I will still give it a whirl.

You might try the Arista EDU 400 its Forte 400. I bit the bullet also and just got some FP4+ the efke 100 is fine and a good price but I am just too rough to not scratch it.

Old School Wayne

They dont have it in the Arista edu in 400 though.... I've never had a problem with scratching yet, but I also dont want to start now

Old School Wayne

argg...need edit feature... They dont have the Arista edu in 400 though, is what I tried to say

The current .EDU Ultra is Fomapan, I'm told. The old .EDU was Forte Otherwise, I don't recall.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D