Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

Re: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You mean price over performance? Somebody doing architecture probably is not doing it as a hobby.

Gee, no one shoots architecture for fun? Someone should have told me that, like years ago...

For fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160805-501a.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	189479

For fun

Name:	20150906-08-502.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	189480

For fun

Name:	20160805-502-2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	189481

All shot on 5x7, just for fun...

On the EU side at least, some of the best deals in lenses seem to be lenses mounted on shutterless Sinar DB boards – especially the rebranded Sinarons for some reason. The catch of course is that you also need the not-so-cheap Sinar behind the lens shutter to use them. But if the OP intends to build an extended set of lenses for the Norma in the long run, it's another thing worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by ottluuk View Post
    Sinar DB boards – especially the rebranded Sinarons for some reason.
    The reason is that no shutter is included, and shutters may be more expensive than the glasses, simply because shutters in shape are scarcer than glasses.

Sinar, Technika, etc selected glass had an additional QC. Always it had been a sample to sample variation, those mentioned stamps are not a drawback at all.

While a great studio solution, a Sinar/Copal shutter may not be suitable outdoors, because of the lower max speed. Wind moves vegetation, hair, etc and we may want 1/200.

"In a moment of madness I have bought a 5X4 Sinar Norma and intend to buy a 90mm f4.5 wide angle lens but am unsure if to go for a Nikon, Grandagon or super angulon. Your thoughts please? Obviously the price is a large factor in the selection. Cheers Dave"

Dave,
    I have over a dozen special Norma lenses with "rabbit ears". Some have shutters and some in barrel mount. I have three Norma mechanical shutters. The 90mm F8 Super Angulon was available in this way. The advantage is OPERATING SPEED. With Norma cables interconnecting the front and rear of the camera, you can operate the all the Norma controls from the rear, no more going back and forth (to the front of the camera) to operate and check settings. As Sinar rightly pointed out, nearly as fast to operate as a reflex camera! When the light hitting a building is fleeting, this is a distinct advantage! The mechanical shutter's fastest speed is 1/50. I have never needed faster than that in all my years. What is useful are the really really long mechanical speeds on the shutter. You wouldn't know that unless you actually operate one for a while........... The Norma has a vast truly impressive system. Why not take advantage of it? Finest quality you can buy There is more to expressive photography than stats and charts. You take off in the direction that the equipment takes you.

WL Surveillance 70mm Hartblei 1006 120 Biogon ADOX Borax by Nokton48, on Flickr

My 5x7 Norma camera complete with all Norma Automatic cables, in my studio.

Last year I finished this homemade Sinar Norma Handy. I love using this camera. It utilizes the 65mm F8 chrome Super Angulon and is cobbled together with Norma parts.

Low cost and it does a beautiful job.

Sinar Handy with Strap and Cable Extension by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 1-Apr-2019 at 06:03.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Dave,
    Here is one of my Sinar Norma 90mm F8 Super Angulon lenses. I have a couple of these. This one is not in a shutter (barrel mounted) so it would require the Sinar Norma mechanical shutter. I also have a similar Norma lens, in a Compur shutter (which will also work with the Mechanical shutter). Also shown is a Schneider 90mm F8 Center Filter, made specifically for this lens.

Sinar Norma 90mm F8 Sup Ang with Center Filter by Nokton48, on Flickr

I think I paid about $150 for this lens...........
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

tl;dr: The Nikon 90mm f/8 is the lens to beat for 90mm on 4x5. Significantly greater resolution than any/all others, as borne out by empirical objective testing. The smaller size and reasonable price are an extra bonus!

Been using a Sinar shutter outdoors and indoors since the mid-1980's, think the fastest shutter speed of 1/50 on the Norma version and 1/60 on the later version has not been used more than the number of fingers on one hand over all those decades.

The far more useful shutter speeds are the speeds below one second. If large apertures are needed, apply ND filters as needed to achieve the shutter speed required. The lack of shutter speeds below one second on Copal-Ilex-Compur in lens shutters have been more of a problem than the shutter speed limit of 1/50 or 1/60 on the Sinar shutter.

If stopping action/motion is needed, a view camera is not the ideal tool.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    While a great studio solution, a Sinar/Copal shutter may not be suitable outdoors, because of the lower max speed. Wind moves vegetation, hair, etc and we may want 1/200.

As you are fond of saying Bernice - it depends on how/what you shoot!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If stopping action/motion is needed, a view camera is not the ideal tool.
    Bernice, this is true for wet plate, but with TMY or HP5 we can shot 1/400 f/16 in Sunny conditions, and 1/200 f/11 in open shadows. At marked 1/400 my Compurs are around 1/300 actual.

It is true that most shots are made much slower... but with ISO 400 film we may freeze the wind effects if we want that...

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    tl;dr: The Nikon 90mm f/8 is the lens to beat for 90mm on 4x5. Significantly greater resolution than any/all others, as borne out by empirical objective testing. The smaller size and reasonable price are an extra bonus!
    For sure that the Nikon is excellent, but it is not alone.

If you take a look at member Arne Croell tests: https://www.arnecroell.com/lenstests.pdf

He tested ten 90mm lenses, one is the Nikon SW sporting > 80 lp/mm in the center and 40 in the corner at f/16. But the super Angulon XL and the Geronar WA (!!!) are equally good. The antique lenses (1950s and 60s) do have lower ratings.

Suprisingly the Geronar WA it's also good performer, with 80 in the center at f/16 and 34 in the corner.

Of course there is a sample to sample variation, and all three are diffraction limited by f/22

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    In a moment of madness I have bought a 5X4 Sinar Norma and intend to buy a 90mm f4.5 wide angle lens but am unsure if to go for a Nikon, Grandagon or super angulon.

Your thoughts please?

Obviously the price is a large factor in the selection.

Cheers Dave

I once took a close look at the Norma, and along the way I discovered a wonderful resource prepared by Philip Morgan called the "Rough Guide to Sinar Normal CLA". I can't find the file anymore on the Internet, but I have a copy of the PDF. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll email a copy. It's step-by-step with pictures.