Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: lense mounting & camera plate

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    lense mounting & camera plate


    I have two questions, one regarding lens mounting, the other regarding camera plates:

    1.) I recently purchased a used Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead with Really Right Stuff clamp, and I'm wondering what camera plate I am going to need to accompany my Shen Hao 4x5. I looked on the Really Right Stuff website in order to identify what clamp it is, but the website did not show one resembling it. I was going to email Really Right Stuff with an attached picture of the clamp so that they could make a recommendation (and identify the clamp), but they have no email address (as they mention on their site). So, it's up to us. I would be more than happy to email someone a photo of the clamp, if necessary. FYI, it looks just like any other clamp, only a little 'less fancy.'

    2.) I also recently purchased a Rodenstock Grandagon 65mm lens mounted on a sinar lensboard, and I am going to need to remount the lens onto a copal 0 shen hao compatible board (which I have). How do I go about gently and properly removing the lens from the sinar board and mounting it on the shen hao board? Do I need special tools? Is there a tutorial available somewhere on the net?

    All help is appreciated. Ma Selema.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2002

    lense mounting & camera plate

    Casey, RRS has changed the look of some of their clamps over the years, so it is possible the one you have is an earlier version which may not look exactly like the current models. However, if it is a RRS clamp the functionality has not changed. So, nothing to be concerned about there. As far as a plate for your Shen-Hao 4x5, the RRS B35 plate is probably what you need. It is the plate that I use on my Wisner Expedition 4x5. The B35 plate has two 1/4-20 screws, one in a fixed position, and the other in a slot, allowing front to back movement to fit your particular camera. I am not familiar with the Shen-Hao's mount, but if you have one 1/4-20 and one 3/8-16 threaded receiver (like my Wisner), RRS makes a 3/8-1/4 bushing to allow the use of the B35.

    With respect to removing and re-mounting your Grandagon, the only specialty tool you need is an adjustable spanner wrench, which can be found at many camera stores, including B&H, etc. There's nothing complicated about the process. Just use a little caution using the wrench so you don't slip and damage the diaphragm inside the shutter. First, simply unscrew the rear element and set in aside. Then, using the spanner wrench, loosen the retainer ring and remove it by hand. Then just put it back together on your new board.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Baraboo, Wisconsin

    lense mounting & camera plate

    With respect to remounting the lens, you actually may not need any special tool. A spanner wrench of the kind mentioned by Jeffrey is useful but for many years I switched lenses around among different lens boards without one. If the Sinar board is a flat board with a retaining ring on the back all you need to do is loosen the retaining ring a little, then you can rotate it the rest of the way by hand and remove it. I used one of the tines on an ordinary table fork to loosen the ring (and to tighten it when the lens was on the new board) but any pointed object that will fit in one of the slots on the retaining ring will work fine. An adjustable spanner wrench is more of a necessity when the retaining ring is recessed. If you do buy an adjustable spanner wrench I'd recommend the one made and sold by S.K. Grimes for about $30.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 1998
    Lund, Sweden

    lense mounting & camera plate

    I used to lust after a proper spanner wrench, but when near to home I prefer two screwdrivers held in a bench vise. I can use both hands to hold the lens, and I can adjust the size of the screwdriver blade to match the slot on the retaining ring.

    Another trick is to find a thick o-ring of the right diameter, put it flat on a bench and place the reluctant ring square onto it. Push down and twist. This seems almost better than a wrench or wrench substitute with rings with broad enough faces to push onto the o-ring effectively. It works particularly well with stuck flanges with only three holes, where a spanner wrench is useless.

  5. #5
    Scott Davis
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Washington DC

    lense mounting & camera plate

    Rodenstock makes a "lens key" which sells for about $20 that has the proper spacings notched out on the sides for Copal 0, Copal 1 and Copal 3 shutters. It's flat, weighs next to nothing, and is easy to keep stored in your camera bag. It comes in very handy when you're out in the field and all of a sudden a lens decides to loosen up on you.

Similar Threads

  1. Designing a new Wet Plate Camera
    By Ray Morgenweck The Star Camera Company in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7-Mar-2006, 10:12
  2. Sanderson plate camera, 10x12
    By Don Wallace in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2004, 15:44
  3. Ensign Glass Plate 10x12 Camera
    By Rory_3532 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 3-Feb-2004, 20:10
  4. Eastman Plate camera Series 3, Type D
    By dileep prakash in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2002, 14:15
  5. Could an old plate camera be put to use?
    By Jimi in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Nov-1999, 08:18


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts