Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is the Intrepid 4x5 Mk4

Here is the Intrepid 4x5 Mk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_FLy6Yh1VM

Apparently there is a new Intrepid 4x5 with aluminium base. Looks like a Chamonix / Shen Hao, more and more. What do you think?

Regards

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Here is the Intrepid 4x5 Mk4

The innovators copying the copiers. The Intrepid started with British labor, which is very expensive. It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong? Light manufacturing in the world is going there and not coming back. The camera looks pretty good now. What is the Mk V going to be, No plywood at all? I wish they concentrate in the enlarger we bought already, and the other parts we paid already (back reduction, etc). The Chamonix is a very well made camera, the perfection to detail is incredible, of course, it cost two times more.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    The innovators copying the copiers. The Intrepid started with British labor, which is very expensive. It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong? Light manufacturing in the world is going there and not coming back. The camera looks pretty good now. What is the Mk V going to be, No plywood at all? I wish they concentrate in the enlarger we bought already, and the other parts we paid already (back reduction, etc). The Chamonix is a very well made camera, the perfection to detail is incredible, of course, it cost two times more.
    The Chamonix is $1k (the basic basic 45N-2). The intrepid is $330, so more like 3 times more. I think the intrepid offers tremendous value at the expense of less refinement and also more tinkering. But of course the Chamonix is another level of craftsmanship, as you would expect.

I’m surprised he had to add spirit levels they came with the mk3.

The metal base is a great improvement for longevity purposes in my mind and should make it a bit more compact when closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    The Chamonix is $1k (the basic basic 45N-2). The intrepid is $330, so more like 3 times more. I think the intrepid offers tremendous value at the expense of less refinement and also more tinkering. But of course the Chamonix is another level of craftsmanship, as you would expect.

I’m surprised he had to add spirit levels they came with the mk3.

The metal base is a great improvement for longevity purposes in my mind and should make it a bit more compact when closed down.
    The Chamonix price is three times the price of the Intrepid, that means, It cost two times MORE.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong?
    Why do you say this?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Why do you say this?
    Not sure, but I suspect the metal part of the new camera can be done at a very lower cost in those parts of the world. I am guessing. That is how Spain lost the leadership in selling Spanish Guitars. Now, China is the leader of selling Spanish guitars.

It Chamonix price is three times the price of the Intrepid, that means, It cost two times more.
    Yeah ok, two times more is three times as much.
    Correct but confusing to many.

Not sure, but I suspect the metal part of the new camera can be done at a very lower cost in those parts of the world. I am guessing. That is how Spain lost the leadership in selling Spanish Guitars. Now, China is the leader of selling Spanish guitars.
    That's why I always look out for matured things that may find their luck in my hands ...

When was the first Intrepid released?

Personally, I find it a bit off-putting when companies iterate so many times in a small amount of time. It feels like perhaps the product was rushed, and then continually a "work-in-progress," without a lot of time to do true refinements.

I keep wanting to try the Intrepid, and every time I think maybe I'll look closer at them, another model comes out.

On the other hand, I wonder if the change showcased here makes it even lighter? I have shot primarily with a Chamonix for around 7 years, but I have the original 45n1 model. My interest in the Intrepid stems from the ultra low weight, even lower than the Cham.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    When was the first Intrepid released?

Personally, I find it a bit off-putting when companies iterate so many times in a small amount of time. It feels like perhaps the product was rushed, and then continually a "work-in-progress," without a lot of time to do true refinements.

I keep wanting to try the Intrepid, and every time I think maybe I'll look closer at them, another model comes out.

On the other hand, I wonder if the change showcased here makes it even lighter? I have shot primarily with a Chamonix for around 7 years, but I have the original 45n1 model. My interest in the Intrepid stems from the ultra low weight, even lower than the Cham.
    I feel the same way about Windows, lol.
    The thing is that while there’s always refinements, no version is a bad choice. And because there’s a multi month wait once you order it, you can probably sell you older version for the full price because someone will pay for not having to wait. So upgrades cost nothing! :-)