Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which ball head? Really right BH40 or BH30

Re: Which ball head? Really right BH40 or BH30

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Best ball head for a view camera? NONE. Lots of past thread explaining why. In fact, if light weight is a priority, why use any kind of tripod head? I don't.
    I'm with Drew - NO BALL HEAD FOR LARGE FORMAT!

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Which we've discussed a huge number of times. Does it need to be discussed again? I mean, wouldn't it save time to cut and paste the following to _every_ tripod/support question:

Drew: no head. tripod heads are for slackers who don't care about sharpness.
    Bernice: optical bench goniometer. Other heads are for slackers who don't care about precision.
    Bernice: If you do feel like slacking, then a Sinar pan/tilt.
    Bob: a three-way leveling head from linhof or Berlebach. Genau!
    Any F64 traditionalist: Get a Ries head...or we'll confiscate your spot meter.
    Anyone who likes strength, light weight, and quick adjustment: Get a good ball head. Learn how to use it.
    Someone who has too much money: Arca Swiss cube. It goes with my watch!
    Dang, Peter. You've manage to flip the apple cart couple of times. Thanks. Indeed, this pony is no more.....

Les

Drew Wiley

"Weight rating" has little to do with it. Torque vectors do. It's specifically how that weight is distributed or extenuated that counts. What works well with a particular camera configuration at a certain weight might prove inept with a different kind of balance of equal weight. Therefore opinions are no substitute for actually trying out a product before you purchase it. Any reputable dealer should permit you a mock-up test.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Hello folks,

I'm trying to decide on the two mentioned heads. I use a chamonixN2 with lens between 90mm and 300mm.
    The camera weights 3 and a half pounds plus lens and film holder, I have to be under 8 lbs.

So the Really right ball heads are my question. The 30 has a weight limit of 15 and the 40 of 18.
    100 dollar difference in price.

I can't take a look at them as there is no store, so I'm relying on reviews etc.

I'm leaning toward the 30 as I like to travel as light as possible.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Peter, I have the BH40 and have used it with my Chamonix 8x10 with no problem. For your 4x5, I agree with Peter that the 30 would suffice. As to the rest of the debate about using a ballhead with LF, if you’re comfortable with it, I see no reason not to.

For years I used a giottos MH3000 which is a heavy duty ballhead. Recently switched to Manfrotto XPRO-3 head with quick release and find it much easier to level and adjust one axes at a time. The 405 and 410 heads are nice too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Have tried a number of different solutions, and over time, have drifted from the ballhead BH-40 to the Arca D4 geared head. Yes, its a bit heavier, but the precision is worthwhile. But sometimes a ballhead is just easier to pack or use. I'd recommend the 40 over the 30, the extra size isn't that much and it is more secure. As to load weights, typically I divide the stated capacities by 3 to get a working sense of secure and with some safety factor.