Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Kodak Portrait Petzval.

Eastman Kodak Portrait Petzval.

I just gave this lens a first cleaning. The lens arrived home a few days ago...
    Looks like a B & L petzval. The lens is engraved... EASTMAN PORTRAIT F4 16In.
    Seems a copy of the English Dallmeyer 3A, both are 16 inch focal length, F4 maximum aperture and have soft focus ability. The lens was originally designed for whole plate (6.5 x 8.5 inches) size images however I think that coverage is greater than this, I found it to be a nice focal length for portraits on 8x10.

I would appreciate any information about the lens...
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EKC_Portrait_1.JPG   EKC_Portrait_2.JPG  
    Last edited by C_M; 21-Mar-2019 at 15:16.

Re: Eastman Kodak Portrait Petzval.

Kodak sourced lenses from both B&L and Zeiss, and probably many others, before they established their own optics department.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Kodak sourced lenses from both B&L and Zeiss, and probably many others, before they established their own optics department.
    By the serial number, would it be possible to know the manufacturer ???
    Thanks Mark.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by C_M View Post
    I just gave this lens a first cleaning. He arrived home a few days ago...
    "HE"? Definitely a female...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    "HE"? Definitely a female...
    ...Sorry for my bad english

Quote Originally Posted by C_M View Post
    By the serial number, would it be possible to know the manufacturer ???
    Thanks Mark.
    I concur that this is a product of Bausch & Lomb. You find these identical petzval's with all kinds of names on them, including even Bausch & Lomb themselves. There were 2 grades of finish. The Kodak and the B&L and probably some others had a fine lacquered polished shine, while cheaper ones sold by other big name houses, including Pinkham & Smith and Deardorff, had a machined finish that wasn't as classy looking. You can find these in many of the 1905 - ish catalogs at piercevauble dot com. For instance here is a 1904 Burke & James catalog. Check out page 39 and you'll see this identical lens but with Bun&Jun Ideal name on it. BTW, if you take the 1904 price and crunch it through the inflation calculator, your lens would cost $2400 today. Nice bargain eh? Plus I'm sure the one with Eastman's name on it was even more. Enjoy your $2800 lens. Make us some pictures.

I was tempted by the this beast as well. But I already have a Dallmeyer 3A. Yes, it's a 3A copy made by Bausch & Lomb complete with rear diffusion control. I have the smaller 11.5" f3.5 (though marketed as F4) B&L Universal Portrait 2A. It's just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I concur that this is a product of Bausch & Lomb. You find these identical petzval's with all kinds of names on them, including even Bausch & Lomb themselves. There were 2 grades of finish. The Kodak and the B&L and probably some others had a fine lacquered polished shine, while cheaper ones sold by other big name houses, including Pinkham & Smith and Deardorff, had a machined finish that wasn't as classy looking. You can find these in many of the 1905 - ish catalogs at piercevauble dot com. For instance here is a 1904 Burke & James catalog. Check out page 39 and you'll see this identical lens but with Bun&Jun Ideal name on it. BTW, if you take the 1904 price and crunch it through the inflation calculator, your lens would cost $2400 today. Nice bargain eh? Plus I'm sure the one with Eastman's name on it was even more. Enjoy your $2800 lens. Make us some pictures.
    Thanks Master.
    The lens is complete and original, measures 25cm tall, 16cm flange diameter and weighs +/- 4 Kg so a rather large lens. Is in fine condition, there is some tarnishing to the brass but most of the original lacquer is present. There is a slight flat spot on the edge of the hood but otherwise no dents or heavy wear. The glass is perfect, no marks, scratches or chips etc.
    The lens has an iris / aperture labeled 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.
    This is the American aperture system ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaphragmnumbers.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	189078

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaphragmnumbers.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	44.5 KB