Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Platinum galleries/collectors?

Re: Platinum galleries/collectors?

We may be driving the whole way, or flying to California and renting a car...not sure just yet.

Too bad about some places not showing prints in their collections to regular schmucks like me. I remember being in a gallery in Carmel about 30 years ago, being taken into the back when they recognized I was absorbing as much as I could from the prints on the walls, and having my whole world rocked by a Wynn Bullock print of dark driftwood and surf.

Thanks again for the tips & leads...hope to get rocked again!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Ray Bidegain has an all-platinum show coming up at the Camerawork Gallery in Portland: https://thecameraworkgallery.org/upc...hibitions-cwg/
    And fwiw, I'm a great fan of Ray's work, he's modest (as far as I can tell) and let's his work speak for itself. His print's afaik represent great value

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Perhaps you should think not just of galleries and collectors, but also practitioners who might be willing to have you drop by for a visit. Sure, it will be wonderful to see work that has made it to galleries, but given that your interest is in figuring out whether Pt/Pd is right for you, it might be equally useful to talk with people who are doing it and can both show you some of their work and share their thoughts about both inspiration and the ups and downs of the craft in practice.
    I think this would be the direction I would go. For the most part I have found LF photographers to be nice people who like to help and talk about what they do. Only found one to be a monstrous sized arrogant donkey.

If you are in Northern CA amongst the redwoods, drop by the house, I'll show you a stack of my platinum prints -- and some carbons if you wish, also.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My favorite galleries in California are located in Carmel by the Sea. The only two names I remember are the Weston Gallery and Photography West. I'm pretty sure both of these either display Pt/Pd prints or have some on hand. Also, Point Lobos is nearby if you want to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If you are in Northern CA amongst the redwoods, drop by the house, I'll show you a stack of my platinum prints -- and some carbons if you wish, also.
    Vaughn (of original APUG fame)...if we do drive down, it would be an honour to meet you!

If you're in the Bay Area come over for coffee and I'll show you some I've done, including a few gum overs. I'm in San Rafael.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I live in Vancouver Washington and can show you carbon prints at my home if you wish. Other than that LightBox Photographic gallery in Astoria generally has images on display from Platinum printers. I have some Platinum/Palladium images in my collection come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Vaughn (of original APUG fame)...if we do drive down, it would be an honour to meet you!
    You will be welcomed!

Lost Man Creek, Redwood National Park
    8x10 platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LostManCreek.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I remember being in a gallery in Carmel about 30 years ago, being taken into the back when they recognized I was absorbing as much as I could from the prints on the walls, and having my whole world rocked by a Wynn Bullock print of dark driftwood and surf.
    [/QUOTE]

Perhaps it was the Photography West Gallery. Many have had similar experiences. Same owner and wonderful space as you enjoyed; put it on your list for a stop!

http://www.photographywest.com/