Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Platinum galleries/collectors?

Drew Wiley

Re: Platinum galleries/collectors?

Been awhile since I was down there. I had several gigs of my own in Carmel nearly forty yrs ago, and got to interact with the locals, but tended to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible after an opening to get some solitude and be out shooting. Then had my Dad in assisted living there, so was in the area quite a bit during more recent years, but always for sake of visiting him and taking him on long drives in the surrounding country, and really no time or interest in visiting galleries I have long been familiar with anyway. One can see either the best of art (namely, photographic) or the worst of art (ridiculously kitchy mass-produced painted seascapes, Tom Kinkade abominations, etc) in the same general neighborhood. Off-season is best, especially if you want to visit Pt Lobos nearby. Lovely on a rainy winter day, when the summer herds and Hwy 1 traffic have largely diminished. I still have family there.

I last visited Carmel some 30 years ago after spending a month camping & climbing at Joshua Tree. We were sitting in a parking lot beside our camperized Volkswagen van eating home made enchiladas amongst the fancy vehicles, looking pretty scruffy, when a cop came by and asked if we intended to stay long in his fine city. We got the point and moved on after visiting a couple galleries.

Thanks everybody for the support and offers of help via private messages!!

Saw what I a ~ 20x20 platinum print of the two Andes kids in a Carmel gallery in 1987. I was down on a scholarship to attend a Friends of Photography workshop. I think it was the same trip I saw my first live AA prints -- sat down on the floor in front of his Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain, Yosemite National Park 1948 and marvaled at the light on the river rock. My favorite image.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Ha! Clint Eastwood won his mayoral election there on the slogan "Use a Cone, go to Jail", overturning the local law which made it illegal to serve ice cream in any other form than in a bowl at a real restaurant table. I had an opening somewhere on the main drag, and a filthy fellow walked in, unkept and smelly. The gallery owner kept trying to throw him out, and was about to call the police, when the guy pulled a wad of thousand dollar bills out of his smelly coat pocket and bought several prints. He had a Rolls Royce parked around the corner. Not a drug dealer, just a rich local eccentric.

I saw specks in some of Ansel's skies, and felt redeemed.