Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bostick and Sullivan: Photo Historic 2019 Alt Photo Competition winners announced

Re: Bostick and Sullivan: Photo Historic 2019 Alt Photo Competition winners announced

I’ll have to try again and see if I can get the info to come up, guess worst case I guess I’ll have to fire up my computer. Some very nice work.

Roger

Re: Bostick and Sullivan: Photo Historic 2019 Alt Photo Competition winners announced

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Glad to see that Jim Fitzerald, who posts here, has a piece in the show!

Anyone else?

https://www.photo-historica.com/finalselections
    Vaughn - were original prints submitted for viewing or jpegs of the prints... I am not comfortable to have work submitted to any online call for entry or competition where real prints are not being evaluated. with PS and lightroom a potato can become a diamond.

but I do congratulate those of you I recognize

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Vaughn - were original prints submitted for viewing or jpegs of the prints... I am not comfortable to have work submitted to any online call for entry or competition where real prints are not being evaluated. with PS and lightroom a potato can become a diamond.

but I do congratulate those of you I recognize
    With my digital skills (or lack of them) I was at a disadvantage with the judging by computer files. I thought the awards should have been judged from the real thing, but if your judge is from out-of-the-area, then that is difficult. The cost and effort required to judge entries into a show directly from the work is high and has traditionally been done using slides. The exception is local shows.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Bob, yes the show was judged from jpegs. I'm no computer wiz either so I'm always at a disadvantage as well. I juried one local show from the original images and what a differences that makes. I wonder how many times work is rejected when the original shows up and doesn't match the jpeg? Also I agree with Vaughn in that the originals should have been judged for the awards. This is the first show so there is a learning curve. It is nice to be included with all others in this show.

Some very nice work. And quite inspirational. Clearly some very talented folks. I'm left hungry to see the original prints.
    It seems painfully ironic that a show dedicated to handmade prints should be judged from jpegs.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Some very nice work. And quite inspirational. Clearly some very talented folks. I'm left hungry to see the original prints.
    It seems painfully ironic that a show dedicated to handmade prints should be judged from jpegs.
    This is why I am very leery of presenting work this way, I have now got a copy setup and am researching the best digital back - capture one - to create high quality jpegs to show my work, in fact this
    is one of the reasons I do not have a personal website anymore as the screen really only gives a hint of what the prints will look like and to many what I show looks like lousy ink jet prints due to the failure of the system
    It really is problematic... I know Jim and Vaughn's prints are good I can imagine what they look like as a printer, Christopher James has the credibility to be able to do this as well so in this call for entries I can see the logic
    but it is really impossible for the average curator or gallerist to be able to comprehend what a fine quality print looks like and therefore I feel we are a bit at a disadvantage as photographers who print their own work.

The value of a well crafted image on paper is a skill many do not appreciate, only time and exhibiting a lot in diverse galleries will this craft/skill become more important, where galleries are selling photographic objects.

If I may intrude,

I was pleasantly surprised IRL with the recent Print Exchange.

The Platinum print really stood out when all were on my table at once.

Also the large variety of papers used, made a noticeable viewing difference, chosen to be best for each print image style.

The Photogravure print could never be represented properly by digital, it's embossed!
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I agree with Bob when he says so many people do not appreciate a well crafted print. Crafting a fine print is as much as an art as finding the image. Getting galleries to appreciate a finely crafted print is the challenge. Submitting to shows gets your work out there but it is a crap shoot when they judge from jpegs.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    But at least it was judged by someone who is very familiar with alt processes and how they get represented online and in print.

Randy -- carbon prints can have a raised relief -- talk about a disappointment in digital representation!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Perhaps I have seen a carbon print at Art Institute Chicago, but I don't know.

I will try harder!

Next stop is St Louis International Photography Hall of Fame

They will have a few

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But at least it was judged by someone who is very familiar with alt processes and how they get represented online and in print.

Randy -- carbon prints can have a raised relief -- talk about a disappointment in digital representation!
    Tin Can