Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese changing tents?

Re: Chinese changing tents?

I’ve been using one of these for at least 5 years and I use it probably more than most folks. Overall, I’m generally happy with it. There can be issues and maybe this occurred on early ones, but I had slight pin hole leaks where the name is embroidered on the tent. I taped on the inside and took care of that problem. The sleeves where the aluminum poles go have started to tear away near the bottom. Using some Gorilla tape has prevented any further tearing. The elastic around the sleeves has become loose. I’ve used some large rubber bands to help with that issue. When I bought mine I paid about $140 shipping included. I still use it preferring it over my Harrison changing tent simply because it is larger and more spacious.

Hi Jim

Good to hear from you, I've been seeing your posts on FB. Curious if the Harrison you have is the standard or the jumbo? How wld you compare their build quality and functionality? Othe than size, why do you prefer the Chinese one? Thanks.

So I ended up getting the Chinese tent and upon doing a simple flashlight test found that the fabric isn't light tight. Is mine simply defective or are we meant to use this only in very subdued light? I'm tempted to just send it back, but was curious what others have found who use this tent. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    So I ended up getting the Chinese tent and upon doing a simple flashlight test found that the fabric isn't light tight. Is mine simply defective or are we meant to use this only in very subdued light? I'm tempted to just send it back, but was curious what others have found who use this tent. Thanks.
    I got 2 months ago the smaller version of it and it is fine— having already run about 15-20 film loading and similar amount of unloading (and then developed without issues). I do it in my bedroom with the lights on (but not outside in daylight).

So you’re saying for you it’s not that there’s one or a few leaks but rather it’s the whole fabric that permeates light?

Hi kiwi
    Yes, try yours and let's see. Just shine a strong flashlight on the inside and see if it comes through on the other. On mine it does.

Approach all changing-tens with skepticism! First toss your focusing cloth over it, then know that our hands shed a lot of dust (skin flakes) so don't poke your bare hands in there. Oh, and the flashlight test means nothing because our human eye cannot see the important spectrum and infrared (if that matters to your application.)

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi kiwi
    Yes, try yours and let's see. Just shine a strong flashlight on the inside and see if it comes through on the other. On mine it does.
    I will check and report back. I will also try on a Harrison one that I have.
    However like I said mine passed the true test: I can use it for what I need it to do without a problem. Why don’t you try a single slide and see if it fogs or kills it? (Just don’t shine a strong flashlight right against it :-)
    I mean, returning it back to China is not as easy or fast as it sounds... and in my experience sometimes packages don’t make it back.

Is it a beach thing? I wonder how the Chinese manage changing in those tiny tents.

Has anyone had a chance to check their tent for light tightness?