Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super-Symmar XL series haze and fog problems

Re: Schneider Super-Symmar 80/4.5 XL problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
    Jeff did say he heard that there was an outfit in Colorado that was able to work on that lens for a reasonable price. Anybody know anything about that?
    John Van Stelten
    Focal Point Inc.
    1355 South Boulder Road
    Suite F-180
    Louisville, Co 80027
    Phone: 303/665-6640
    Web-Site: www.focalpointlens.com
    Email: john@focalpointlens.com
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Exclamation Schneider 110mm XL (and others) fog warning

Hello all,

As many of us know, the Schneider XL lenses are nothing short of spectacular. When they work... Unfortunately, a fair number of them have a tendency to develop fogging. In some cases this is easily removed by the more technically inclined amongst us, however, in many cases it is not. I was recently offered a fogged schneider at a price that was almost too good to be true. Restraining myself from jumping on it right away, I decided to write a quick mail to Schneider Germany to see what they had to say. The reply is below. It is in German (I figured I would talk to people in their own language). The long and short of it is that they openly admit that the problem results from the type of glass used (lead-free, apparently prone to fogging when exposed to environmental influences). Where to me, it would make perfect sense to cover this under guarantee or have an open recall for anyone affected, they boldly indicate that there is a cost in excess of EUR 860 involved in fixing it. This is excluding shipping, etc. I asked a quote for a 110, but imagine others would be similar. Alas, I will pass on the 110XL offered as I do not want to take the risk of disassembling it and concluding I can not remove the fog. That would make for an expensive shutter! Alas, the transcript is below, please use google translate to get it in your own language if interested.

Sehr geehrter Herr,

leider ist eine Reinigung nicht möglich.
    Das Vorderglied muss komplett ersetzt werden.

Ungefähre Kosten:

Vorderglied #1055577 712,60 €
    Umbau 150,- €

Auf Grund der RoHS-Richtlinie wurden von den Glasherstellern bleihaltige Gläser durch bleifreie Gläser ersetzt. Das verwendete Ersatzglas hat sich entgegen den Katalogangaben als wenig klimaresistent und sehr fleckempfindlich erwiesen.
    Die Flecken auf den Linsenflächen entstehen durch Umwelteinflüsse (hauptsächlich Luftfeuchte) erst nach relativ langer Einwirkdauer, weil die Entspiegelungsschichten einen gewissen Schutz bieten.
    Diese Glasschäden konnten in der aktuellen Ausführung erst durch Verwendung eines anderen Alternativglases und zusätzlicher Maßnahmen verhindert werden.
    Der Reparaturaufwand ist deshalb so hoch, weil, infolge abweichender optischer Eigenschaften des Ersatzglases vom ursprünglich eingesetzten Glas, die Linsen und die Fassung im Vorderglied geändert werden mußten.
    Bei früheren Versionen muß deshalb im Reparaturfall das komplette Vorderglied ersetzt werden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Best regards l
    Kundendienst
    Customer Service
    Sachbearbeiterin
    Service Administrator

Re: Schneider 110mm XL (and others) fog warning

My German translator program won't seem to translate this, would you be kind enough to help us out who speak English and not German? Thanks!

Hi Stone, the basic message is already in the original description. Schneider indicates the glass used had to be lead-free (I assume for environmental reasons?). This glass was and is known to fog when exposed to air and humid air in particular. They are non-descript in their mention "over longer periods of time". Recent lenses have repair costs as indicated. Older ones are even more expensive as they require a switch of more parts for new glass to fit.

I'm surprised that schneider deals with their customers this way. Heck, the while XL range was never exactly cheap.

Anyway,I'll stay away from them, but it seems like studio samples are your safest bet...

Could do a full translation, but the above is the general message.

Home now, here's a direct google translate (sorry, I did not fix the errors, particularly like the "antecedent" which is obviously the "front element" and "tag" which is "conversion"):

Dear Mr. X,

Unfortunately it is not possible to clean it.
    The antecedent must be completely replaced.

Approximate cost:

Antecedent # 1055577 € 712.60
    Tag 150, - €

Due to the RoHS Directive leaded glasses were replaced with lead-free glasses by the glass producers. The replacement glass used has, contrary to the catalog specifications as little air resistance and proved very sensitive spot.
    The stains on the lens surfaces caused by environmental factors (mainly humidity) only after a relatively long exposure time, because the anti-reflection layers provide some protection.
    This glass damage could be prevented in the current run only by using a different alternative glass and additional measures.
    The repair cost is so high because, had to be changed due to differences in optical properties of the replacement glass from the originally used glass, the lenses and the wording in the forelimb.
    In earlier versions, the complete front member must therefore be replaced in case of repairs.

Best regards
    Best regards l
    Customer service
    Customer Service
    Sachbearbeiterin
    Service Administrator

I keep considering this lens due to it's legendary sharpness but because I work for days on end in some pretty harsh climates, discussions like these steer me away from it.

Darn.

Re: Schneider Super-Symmar XL series haze and fog problems

Threads merged.

kleinbatavia: thanks for sharing your recent experience on this.

So to add to Schneideritis we have Schneiderfog.
    Is Schneider just lazy or delinquent?
    What other manufacturer is having such issues?

I don't know how widespread this issue might be; I've owned two 72XLs and currently a 150XL, and none have shown any kind of problem.
    I'm not the first owner of any of them, and as luck would have it, they all came from much more humid climates than mine.

I bought one of the very early ones and it is fine. But then in So. Cal. our humidity is rarely as high as 50%. This does sound like a manufacturing (or design) defect.