Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super-Symmar XL series haze and fog problems

Schneider Super-Symmar XL series haze and fog problems

In the thread below, many made reference to the "problems" Schneider had with this lens and stated those problems have been solved long ago. My experience indicates otherwise.

I first purchased the lens new Jan. '03. About a year later I sent it back to Badger Graphics, due to a fogging on the edges of the inside element. I was told it was a bad batch of glue. ??? They sent another. The first replacement would not focus properly. I could get the top or bottom of an image in focus, but not both. Back it went for another new lens. Just last month, I noticed that the SECOND REPLACEMENT was fogging, same as the original. First of October, it went back to Badger and Schneider. More glue issues.

I am now awaiting its replacement. I have a Yosemite trip coming up soon and it is not looking promising that I will have that lens for the trip. It is a great lens, sharp with a good sized image circle. I just hope Schneider can gets its glue together and get me a lens that won't fog and do it sometime soon.

If you have the 80mm, take a close look at it.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Schneider Super-Symmar 80/4.5 XL problems

Okay, dumb question time.

First off, I understand the attraction of an Aspheric lens.

Secondly, every 2nd month when VC magazine comes out, I spend waaaaaaay too much time drooling over any and every ad that shoes off one of the newer Schnieder XL series lenses. I've never used an XL series lens, but iIf i win the lottery tonight, well, easy guess where some of the money will end up.

Still, after 2-3 tries, why wouldn't anybody somebody say to themselves "hey, that Nikon 80mm / 4.5 looks real sweet. Maybe I'll try it instead"?

Yeah, I know the Nikon is bigger lens (physically speaking) and so heavier to lug around, certianly when backpacking, but still, it seems to be there's some nice choices out there in the 75 to 80mm range. Is the XL that much better?

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Joe,

I persevere for several reasons. First, as you mentioned, is size. It is a relatively small lens combined with a good-sized image circle. I backpack and hike quite a bit, so size and weight mean a great deal to me. It is also a very sharp lens and for a wide angle, is pretty bright on the ground glass. It is a hassle, but I figure sooner or later Schneider will get it right. It is costing them a lot of dough each time they get it wrong. The bad publicity can't be too good for business, either, so I would assume they are highly motivated to correct the problem.

Hi Harley,

I understand your frustrastion. I got the same problem with the 80XL and I got a new lens back. I don't want to even think about the possibility of having the same problem. I'll keep you, and the forum, posted.

Anyway, the worst was that I got the same problem with the...110XL. I was so amazed! But even more surprised, let's say, when I got back the same lens "repaired". I am now contacting someone at the Schneider to know what they actually "repaired".

The 110XL is my best lens and a Schneidder top lens. They really need to solve this problem.

Ugo

I've noticed haze around the edge of one of the elements of my SSXL80 as well. I've been waiting until the fall foliage season is over before I ship it out.

So, where should I send it? Back to Badger Graphic whom I bought it from, or directly to Schneider in California?

John,

I would call Jeff at Badger and send it back to him. He sends them directly to Germany. I don't know anything about the local repair facility. The mother ship sounds like a safer bet, having the guys who make them deal with the issue.

i have just sent my 80xl back too, it is from 2003, i thought mine was a one off case...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I just got back from the PhotoPlus expo in New York, and talked to the Schneider people. It was my favorite booth, because unlike others (including certain competitors) who had sent windbag sales people to the event, Schneider had genuine German engineers. A really friendly, helpful, no B.S. bunch of people.

Anyway, I asked about the problem with the 80mm lens, and they're well aware of it. It was a problem with the fundamental design of the coating in the earliest batches. The coating on on certain elements ended about a milimeter from the edge of the glass (for some design reason). This created a microscopic gap between certain elements. It's possible for moisture to get in there and get trapped, and spread a haze between the elements. The technician said the unfortunate thing about the problem was that the lenses would test perfectly, and the problem would emerge weeks or months after the lens had been in use in the field.

He told me the coating process for the lens was completely redesigned, and it's a non-issue with any lens made after the initial couple of batches. This is one case where buying a USA lens might have saved a pile of trouble ... the guys at Schneider are on top of it and would have known what the problem was, and what batch the replacement lens was from.

By the way, I asked if they'd consider some kind of presence in these online forums, and they liked the idea a lot. It would make answers to these questions easier to come by. they asked me to send them websites worth looking at. I'll send them this one, of course, and photo.net, but if anyone has other suggestions I'll pass them along.

Paul,

Thanks for the info.

Unless something strange is going on, that does not jibe with my experience. I bought the lens, noticed the problem a year later and sent my lens back to Badger. Badger sent me a new lens, which a year after my first purchase, should not have been from one of the initial batches. The replacement lens developed the same problem. Mystery to me. I just hope the lastest replacement solves the problem, when I get it that is.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Did you check the serial numbers on Schneider's site? It will give you an idea of the manufacturing date ... not sure if it will pin it down close enough to let you know if it's an early batch or not.

My question is, where does Badger get the lenses? Directly from Kreutznach? From a big German reseller? It could well be that their supplier sees an American gray market retailer as a perfect opportunity for getting rid of the early batch of lenses (which have no detectable manufacturing defects, but which have a good chance of developing problems and getting returned). Just a thought.