Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

Re: Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The 3000 has a built in wide angle focusing system so no need for helical mounts. It’s drop bed goes down to 90°.

The older 2000 also has a built in wide angle focusing system so it to doesn’t require a helical.

Neither the 2000 or 3000 has a rangefinder. The 2000 is what a John Sexton uses.
    Certainly, this helps, though I would argue the weight penalty is still high. At 6 pounds, the 2000/3000 are still double the weight of my Chamonix. What benefits are gained that are actually significant in the making of photographs? I invite you to come up and hike the Appalachian Trail some weekend - which would you rather hike to the top of Brasstown Bald or Blood Mountain with?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You can't take it with you...

buy whatever floats your boat

Maybe you won the Lotto.

I never play the Lotto, as I am sure it would ruin my life....

Shiny objects attract thieving blue Jays...https://sciencing.com/birds-like-shi...s-8555028.html

Watch out for monkeys too...
    Last edited by Tin Can; 19-Mar-2019 at 09:50.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Certainly, this helps, though I would argue the weight penalty is still high. At 6 pounds, the 2000/3000 are still double the weight of my Chamonix. What benefits are gained that are actually significant in the making of photographs? I invite you to come up and hike the Appalachian Trail some weekend - which would you rather hike to the top of Brasstown Bald or Blood Mountain with?
    Why not just go on trail with say Sexton or Barnbaum? One uses the 2000 and a 57 Technika and the other a MT?

So?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If Greg simply wants a machine to make pictures with, the Linhof is absurd, hence the posts about other cameras which will make images that are just as good. But if a Technika will make Greg happy, it is definitely the way to go. A car is just a machine to get one from point A to point B, but many people would be happier with a Ferrari or a Porsche. A Timex will give you the time, but the lucky few enjoy their Patek Philippe’s more. The point is that enjoyment involves more than simple practicality, so if Greg can afford it, power to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. [...] Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least

Looking for forum members who own and use relatively new Technikas. How did they justify acquiring them? Honestly, were they worth acquiring in the end?

Bob, please feel free to post your opinion....
    If it is your last 4x5 camera then get it. You only live once, and there will be no remarks about your cameras on your tombstone.

Apparently you like german products. I know, we know, that we germans have a very unfair overage in foreign trade, resulting from desirability and attractivness of our goods. So, if you can live with this and justify it when you meet your actual commander in chief, then go for it.

Concerning new Technikas: currently I live in Switzerland, that is well known for their wristwatches. As they say here in Switzerland: the lost in value is 2/3 just in the moment you pass the money over the counter. I once was so lunatic to get a swiss watch new, now I can't even sell it, it has no value anymore - although I never wore it because water resistance is only 3m ... Now I have got a wonderful Seiko SKX007, a fantastic wristwatch, 200$, water resistant up to 200m. It serves very well, also in the darkroom where it survives chemicals and glows in the dark.

Concerning your incantation of Bob: you already made your choice, why should you wait any longer. Get it and be happy!

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    If Greg simply wants a machine to make pictures with, the Linhof is absurd, hence the posts about other cameras which will make images that are just as good. But if a Technika will make Greg happy, it is definitely the way to go. A car is just a machine to get one from point A to point B, but many people would be happier with a Ferrari or a Porsche. A Timex will give you the time, but the lucky few enjoy their Patek Philippe’s more. The point is that enjoyment involves more than simple practicality, so if Greg can afford it, power to him!
    Yep! That's the ticket and justifiably tips the scales!��

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    ++1. It's why I have a drawer full of Pinkham Smith lenses and drive around in a '38 Ford coupe (and cannot afford either, ask my wife, and the IRS). The other justification is the old politically incorrect joke. Q. Why did God make gentiles? A. Somebody has to pay retail!

you neeeeeeed it!
    end of story!

I want to see a selfie of OP using his new toy, with evidence of purchase.

Just, saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    you neeeeeeed it!
    end of story!
    Tin Can