Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

So retired 10+ years ago. Stopped shooting for clients about 5 years ago. Sold off a lot of my FX Digital equipment in 2018 that I no longer used. Now am seriously considering acquiring a new 4x5 Technika to be used with probably 4 of my current 4x5 lenses. The resulting system would be easily backpackable for day hikes. Have owned and used several 4x5 and 5x7 Technikas in the past, so definitely am familiar with the brand and the quality of Linhof's construction and engineering.

So now am trying to justify acquiring a new 4x5 Technika. B&H lists Technikas as still being available with a waiting time. Master "classic" for $9,411.99 and Master Technika 300 for $10,234.50. Both prices obviously nothing to sneeze at and for me already causing causing heart palpitations, but then acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. Up to about 10 years ago, always had and drove a traditional Bug. Few years ago acquired a 1979 restored Beetle Conv. and had no problem justifying its cost (which was way more than a new Technika). Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least...

Looking for forum members who own and use relatively new Technikas. How did they justify acquiring them? Honestly, were they worth acquiring in the end?

Bob, please feel free to post your opinion....

Re: Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

I have never used a brand new technika, only secondhand III and IV models. However, one could buy a used Master tech for less than $2,000 and then send it off to be CLA'd for much, much less than the cost of a brand new technika. At $10k, I can't see a reason to buy a new camera over a well-kept secondhand example.

I had a 1974 Beetle for a little while. I paid $2k for it and had about $10k worth of fun with it. I imagine the same ratio applies to used Linhofs!

Wonderful to know that you can still buy large format equipment new... but also surprising. There's such a massive amount of really good quality used kit out there. I'm curious to see what advice you get to help you make your decision.

I bought a new 1970 Beetle for $1850 out the door in 1970, then drove 100,000 miles in under 2 years.

It even saved my life in the last 3 feet, but really glad there was no passenger...

Insurance gave me $1100 and dropped me.

Priceless experiences, and they do float!

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jesus View Post
    I have never used a brand new technika, only secondhand III and IV models. However, one could buy a used Master tech for less than $2,000 and then send it off to be CLA'd for much, much less than the cost of a brand new technika. At $10k, I can't see a reason to buy a new camera over a well-kept secondhand example.

I had a 1974 Beetle for a little while. I paid $2k for it and had about $10k worth of fun with it. I imagine the same ratio applies to used Linhofs!
    Tin Can

There are many Technikas out on fleebay in a next to new condition for a quarter of the new price, but if you insist on a virgin.... But on the other hand the nice guys at LINHOF München need all the business they can get.

Foamer

I personally would just buy a good used one and use the other $7,500 for travel.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So retired 10+ years ago. Stopped shooting for clients about 5 years ago. Sold off a lot of my FX Digital equipment in 2018 that I no longer used. Now am seriously considering acquiring a new 4x5 Technika to be used with probably 4 of my current 4x5 lenses. The resulting system would be easily backpackable for day hikes. Have owned and used several 4x5 and 5x7 Technikas in the past, so definitely am familiar with the brand and the quality of Linhof's construction and engineering.

So now am trying to justify acquiring a new 4x5 Technika. B&H lists Technikas as still being available with a waiting time. Master "classic" for $9,411.99 and Master Technika 300 for $10,234.50. Both prices obviously nothing to sneeze at and for me already causing causing heart palpitations, but then acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. Up to about 10 years ago, always had and drove a traditional Bug. Few years ago acquired a 1979 restored Beetle Conv. and had no problem justifying its cost (which was way more than a new Technika). Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least...

Looking for forum members who own and use relatively new Technikas. How did they justify acquiring them? Honestly, were they worth acquiring in the end?

Bob, please feel free to post your opinion....
    If you will be using gg or want to use very wide angle lenses then get the 3000. You should check dealers like a FotoCare Ltd., Cameras West, Samy’s as well as B&H. Omega Brandess is the US distributor. Check with them as to what is in stock in the USA.

I bought a Linhof Master Technika 3000 new in March 2010. It was $7395 plus California sales tax at Camera West, Walnut Creek CA. (Their price was about the same as B&H's at the time). This was offset some by trading in a 4x5 I had had for some years. Of course I had the advantage of not needing much else, already having lenses, film holders, tripods, etc. and a 4x5 capable darkroom. You sound like you may be in a similar position. By the way I did not make my living doing photography. At the time I had been retired for four years.

So why did I buy it? It replaced a wooden camera that was getting a bit long in the tooth. And I'm a bit of a freak for fine mechanics. And I was fortunate that I could afford this, not on a recurring basis of course. As you say, it's the last 4x5 camera I'll buy. I like the camera a lot and don't regret paying what I did. And of course with the passage of time the cost gets amortized and the probability of regret goes down, down, down.
    David

Photographer

I don't think you can "justify" it. But if you want it, buy it. You'll enjoy it forever.
    Keith Pitman