Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorff V8?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorff V8?

    Hi Everyone

    I'm looking for advice on how to source a back for my Deardorrf V8. I got my camera at an auction sale about 20 years ago, and it had a 4x5 reducing back on it. I'm now wanting to finally use it as a 8x10 camera after all these years!
    Does anybody know of any good resources/shops for finding a regular 8x10 back?

    Are there any people out there making parts for Deardorff cameras?
    Are there any dedicated Deardorff groups or clubs?

    Any help would be so very much appreciated

    Thanks

    Dean

  2. #2
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,140

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Richard Ritter could make you one.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing you don't already know

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    who is Richard Ritter?
    I'm new to nthe forum

    Does he have website?

  4. #4
    loujon
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western, PA.
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Hello and Welcome!

    OK I copied & pasted the name Richard Ritter & did a Google search & this came up #1 or close to it. http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

    Richard builds his own cameras that are VERY clever & wonderfully functional no to mention very light weight. He has been a master camera builder for a few decades and can manufacture just about any large format camera part you may ever need. If you reach out to contact Richard be little patient because his business is way out in the country and he occasionally has mild troubles with internet/utilities but he WILL contact you in a very reasonable time frame. He is a treasure to our community for sure. Thanks Richard!

    Hope this helps out.

    BTW- You may also want to keep your eye open here (in 30 days WTB thread), eBay or camera shops that deal in used gear/large format gear for a second hand 8x10 back. It can be a Deardorff or an other modern wood 8x10 back. Even if it doesn't fit properly it can be made to with little work done by a decent/competent woodworker.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,911

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post

    BTW- You may also want to keep your eye open here (in 30 days WTB thread.
    Louis, the OP has been a member here since March 2016! So his 30 days wait is long gone and he posted a wanted a few days ago.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    292

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Two large format photographers in Guelph! One more and we have quorum...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Westport Island, Maine
    Posts
    1,234

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    It's best to CALL Richard and talk to him. It's better than relying on email.

    802-365-7807.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

  8. #8
    loujon
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western, PA.
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Louis, the OP has been a member here since March 2016! So his 30 days wait is long gone and he posted a wanted a few days ago.
    I missed that so thanks Steven! Great then OP make a WTB thread for a Deardorff 8x10 back and see whats out there. I bet one will turn up and if not Richard is the fellow to talk to.

    Bruce I was hoping you would show up with the best contact information for Richard. Thanks!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    756

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Two large format photographers in Guelph! One more and we have quorum...
    There is a large number of Canadians on this site...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    994

    Re: Advice Wanted: best way to get an 8x10 back for a Deardorrf V8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guelphite View Post
    Hi Everyone

    I'm looking for advice on how to source a back for my Deardorrf V8. I got my camera at an auction sale about 20 years ago, and it had a 4x5 reducing back on it. I'm now wanting to finally use it as a 8x10 camera after all these years!
    Does anybody know of any good resources/shops for finding a regular 8x10 back?

    Are there any people out there making parts for Deardorff cameras?
    Are there any dedicated Deardorff groups or clubs?

    Any help would be so very much appreciated

    Thanks

    Dean
    Try Omer Hecht at Catlabs. He sells Deardorff parts

    https://www.catlabs.info

Similar Threads

  1. Does a Deardorff 8x10 back fit a Calumet C-1 back?
    By James Wigger in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9-Jan-2015, 15:43

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •