Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts - 18x24 cm or 8x10 Film Format - Pros and Cons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts - 18x24 cm or 8x10 Film Format - Pros and Cons

Sorry if this is not following conventional formats for this Forum or if it is in the wrong place - its a first post and really inspired by the desire to give something back to the Forum for those new or looking at the potential of large format, as I have taken lots of useful information and opinions over the years - apologies also that whilst I didn't intend a long post, it has worked out that way.

I am writing this with some practical findings/thoughts which may be useful for others or spark contrary discussion as I have not found all this information in one place, but compiled here from my findings and others - 18x24 cm Film Format instead of 8x10" - Pros and Cons

I am experienced with large format up to 4x5 and whilst working on a new location portraiture project ( http://dglockwood.com/theallotments/ ) up pops a Sinar Norma 8x10 on a auction site at a price too good to pass by. I already have a 4x5 Norma and love the build quality, weight and flexibility of components as I was trained on them as a student, although I am using a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 for the above project as it is fun to use and easier to cart around the locations. Having bought this 8x10 camera I ordered some DD slides and without reading the ad properly and fully understanding the difference get 18x24cm slides instead of 8x10" - after ordering realise that 8x10" and 18x24cm are very different and although fit the same camera have different internal measurements and can only accept that specific film size. So I am just about to cancel the order when I did some quick research and realised that there is a serious advantage to European 18x24cm over the US/English 8x10" (realise there are disadvantages also - can you get film still or other 18x24 parts if needed), which is less coverage needed from the lenses, so not so many new lenses needed to get it up and running.

So here are my calculations from the camera, DDs and other sources:

18x24cm is 7.2" x 9.6", not a massive reduction to the 8x10" format and still a good if not slightly more rectangular ratio 4:3 as opposed to 5:4 - I plan to shoot 'Allotment' landscapes to go with the portraits so this works for me.

Image circle needed is appx 288mm to cover film corner to corner instead of appx 320mm (I appreciate there are different calculations and alternative opinions for this, give or take a few mm, but I measured directly from the 18x24cm DD film holder and mask of the GG screen of the 8x10" Sinar which still has original masks/crop marks for both formats on it)

So many of my 4x5 lenses will work on 18x24cm but not on 8x10" because of the coverage needed - here are the calculation below as to 35mm equivalent focal length (to gauge usefulness) and coverage:

So basic equivalent of a lens used on 18x24cm (can't go off 8x10 as its bigger and can find this info on lists anywhere) to 35mm lens (again won't get in to equivalent ratio argument - its a basic guide) based on a diagonal of 288mm on film in holder – calculation factor 6.69 based on 288/43 (35mm diagonal)

125 = 19mm
    150 = 22mm
    180 = 27mm
    210 = 31mm
    240 = 36mm
    305 = 46mm
    360 = 54mm
    480 = 72mm

My usable 4x5 lenses image circles at infinity (won't get in to 'what aperture' for each though)

Fujinon NSW 125mm f8
    Fuji and others generally say 280 (this shouldn't cover, but when looking through camera in contrary to some posts here and Fuji brochures, mine covers the whole of the 8x10" screen at open aperture and stopped down, not just 18x24cm - it may lack mechanical vignetting though, but looks sharp on the 8x10" corners - mine also however has an 86mm front thread (chrome Copal shutter version) - Fuji literature lists this model as 82mm filter, so something is wrong here in the specifications in the literature - standard bellows won't allow rise or fall so I can't find at which point it vignettes - found this Fuji price list which then says 290 and is designed for 8x10!!! go figure - http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/specs.htm . Based on this price list - its says a 100 degree angle of view, so I calculate a coverage of 298mm - plenty for 18x24cm if we believe online coverage calculators)

Fujinon NW 180mm
    Fuji say 280 (when viewed through camera the mechanical vignetting is actually passed the 288mm diagonal - it covers 18x24cm comfortably (from f5.6), looks sharp in the corners, probably more like 294mm, but no real rise or fall is available)

Sironar S 210mm (late)
    Sinar say 310 - 10mm rise/fall - tested and appx correct

Symmar S 240mm (1970s MC)
    Schneider say 337 - 20mm rise/fall (great lens, very sharp benefits from the additional r and f of 18x24cm)

Repro Claron 305mm
    My guess is 272 based on a 48 degree angle of view - a guess again of that type of lens - it has no mechanical vignetting so actually covers the whole of 8x10, but does look to deteriorate to the corners - would cover 18x24cm OK for closer than infinity subjects though)

Apo Ronar 360mm
    Rodenstock say 318 - 15mm rise/fall (would almost cover 8x10 but is comfortable on 18x24cm with some)

Apo Ronar 480mm
    Rodenstock say 396 - 50mm rise/fall

Ok, what are the limitations of 18x24cm:

Can you find DD holders - yes, I am in England and can find them readily here and in Germany (no import duty) and they are somewhat cheaper as less popular - £50 for an as new unused Fidelity Elite.

Can I find film - this is probably the real issue, but I shoot and like Fomapan and do no colour work (colour would probably negate the whole conversation) - I have sourced Fomapan 100 in 18x24" in Europe, new at £80 a box of 50 as opposed to 8x10" at £135, so yes for B/W and its very much cheaper, but for how long will I be able to get it....that's the gamble, however I can always cut down 8x10" in the darkroom to fit the smaller size in the future and there is plenty of XRay film in both sizes in Europe which could be cut down under red light as well if I get really strapped for cash on this new venture - Fuji Xray is £35 for 100 sheets in 18x24cm.

Processing - I use Jobo drums for 4x5 and have sourced someone in France who 3D prints film reels - bought a 18x24cm one for £60 that fits the 4x5 Jobo drum plus extension (this setup would take 2 but running on a budget for now) - its takes 4 sheets at a time and I semi stand develop in Rodinal which works really well for Fomapan and uses about 10ml a sheet regardless of water quantity, so not bad economy here either.

Enlarging.....not got to this as I am digitizing and inkjet printing for now, but in the future may use the camera as an enlarger in reverse (something that Sinar have products for the adaption of) but I have a DeVere 4x5 column mechanism which I can bolt it to and then would look to make an LED light source to illuminate

My Conclusion

Sorry long thinking and working out, but my conclusions was to stick with the 18x24cm format (prompted by accidental DD purchase) for now as it has big cost and usability advantages - there are lots of lenses that will work with it, but not 8x10". I can always buy 8x10" DDs in the future and shoot 8x10" but currently can't afford a Nikon sw 150mm or Schneider 165mm SA as 8x10 wide angles. How long will 18x24cm film be around for, though is perhaps the real question, but I can stock pile B/W from Europe.

Hope this time and information helps someone thinking about this though - excuse spelling and grammar.......

Re: Thoughts - 18x24 cm or 8x10 Film Format - Pros and Cons

Makes sense to you and me.

We knew where you are from from the usage of whilst, which I sometimes use...
    Tin Can

Similar why 5x7 _ 13x18cm has many advantages over 8x10. The 4:3 ratio appears to be the deciding factors.

IMO, unless one is doing contact prints, 8x10 has a lot of difficulties that are not initially apparent.

Bernice

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

The only problem I see with 8x10 is the addictive nature of it. Once you use one and develop and print, you just want to shoot it over and over. Sometimes forgetting the 4x5 and even the MF.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

8x10, been there done that and well past done with it. The perk and emotional response from going from 4x5 to 8x10 is a SIGNIFICANT emotional WOW !!!

Then after many boxes of film later, that initial 8x10 WOW can fade when the reality of 8x10's limitations cannot be avoided.
    There is absolutely a place for 8x10, IMO 8x10 is not a panacea or ideal for all LF image makers there IS a place for ALL image formats.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    The only problem I see with 8x10 is the addictive nature of it. Once you use one and develop and print, you just want to shoot it over and over. Sometimes forgetting the 4x5 and even the MF.

Cool...have fun with it!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

What does "DD" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    What does "DD" mean?
    DD = Double Darkslide, British for two-sided filmholder. ...two peoples separated by a common language...

Best,

Doremus

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    DD = Double Darkslide, British for two-sided filmholder. ...two peoples separated by a common language...

Best,

Doremus
    That is right, you speak English in Great Britain!
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I wouldn't worry about enlarging it.. it's pretty close also to whole plate size which is a beautiful size for contact prints.