Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Exposure Box for Alternative Processing

UV Exposure Box for Alternative Processing

Hi,

I recently priced an 11 x 14 UV exposure box from a very reputable photographic dealer whom I buy from, and the cost was about $700. Of course, there are cheaper models on eBay, and there may be cheaper models elsewhere that I'm not aware of. So I am interested to know if anyone has experience with less expensive models and where they got them. I'd prefer something that is UL listed of course.

So, just to clarify, I know everybody here is very caring, helpful, and concerned first and foremost with my own welfare and long-term happiness, and that some of those very caring members may want to admonish - er, I mean - helpfully point out in the nicest way possible that I will get what I pay for, or that's it's better to buy from a reputable dealer, or that I would only be undermining the manufacturing of high quality photographic equipment by making a decision based on price instead of quality, or that I could easily make my own unit, or that they don't make them like they used to back in the day, or that I should get a different size, or that I should get something other than a UV exposure box, or that I might set my house on fire if I store my ether next to a questionable electrical device made overseas, or any number of other really helpful comments. Just kindly understand that I've already thought about those considerations and many more too numerous to list. So I'm really just interested in knowing if anyone has experience with less expensive models and where they got them.

Many thanks to anyone who can weigh in.
    I dream in black and white.

Re: UV Exposure Box for Alternative Processing

First post in this forum I have read that has its own TOS.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Recently, I've noticed I need them Vaughn!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    Unrelated to your question, but I think you are renting too much space in your head to other people. ;(
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

They're more like squatters than renters...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    I am more of a free speech sort of guy who does not reconize ownership of threads. Yeah, we all have our faults.

You might be more specific in your question if you do not wish unwanted information. Type, brand/model, etc.

I must assume that you are referring to the "pizza box" style of BLB (or BL) tubes. The only brand I have used is Edwards Engineering. Perhaps 20 years ago I bought their kit and assembled it at the university. The kit was a definite step down from their completed units...I was bit underwelmed. Their completed units are well made and nice to work with. Actually, even the kit one worked fine (but come on -- at least give me an on-off switch!)

If you meant more of the plate-burner style, I have experience with those.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thank you Vaughn! You started to veer into the rough weeds, but came back onto the fairway. If I knew the type, brand, manufacturer I wouldn't have needed to post the question, would I? I could have used that web page called Google, instead. But by the end, you met the TOS!!! I will look into Edwards. I thank you. Really. I mean that.

I built my own fluo-box.I also have a 26-1K NuArc as well as the southern Cal sun.I use all three. My preference is the fluorescent, which although not as fast, seems to give me the scale I prefer with Pt/Pd.

Certainly not the cheapest out there, but I bought an EEP UV light source so long ago that I can't remember how long I've owned it and it works perfectly to this day! See: http://www.eepjon.com/uv.htm. My only regret is that I didn't buy the unit that has a built-in vacuum frame.

Jim, that's really helpful, thanks. I do most of my alternative processing (platinum and palladium prints) in the winter with my 8x10 negatives when it's just too damn cold to go out into New York's frigid temperatures to shoot new film. Instead, I look back at what I shot over the previous spring, summer and fall to do contact prints. However, the diffused, clouded winter sunlight refuses to participate by giving me a consistent development time, which is why I'm shopping for a UV box. Thanks for the tip.