Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Date my Dagor?

Date my Dagor?

Recently picked up a very clean 9 1/2 Dagor F6.8

It's labeled C.P. GOERZ AM. OPT. CO.
    serial # 809243

it does not have a gold dot, but the back of the mounting flange is gold or brass covered. It's not mounted in a shutter. The F-stops seem smooth but don't have click stops.

Anyone know what date this would be from? I've done a brief comb thru of links and couldn't see something that pointed to this high of a serial number.

The person I got it from said they they had used as an enlarging lens for 5x7 B&W printing in the 80s. Any idea how this would compare to a modern 240 as an enlarging lens?

I'm more tempted to have S.K Grimes mount it in a shutter and use it on my 5x7. I think someone said it was less sharp then a modern Fuji 240 when movements are used? It's also pretty heavy for such a small lens...

Re: Date my Dagor?

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Recently picked up a very clean 9 1/2 Dagor F6.8

It's labeled C.P. GOERZ AM. OPT. CO.
    serial # 809243
    I'm more tempted to have S.K Grimes mount it in a shutter and use it on my 5x7. I think someone said it was less sharp then a modern Fuji 240 when movements are used? It's also pretty heavy for such a small lens...
    +1, what I would do in a Copal 1. Did it on mine 25 years ago.

Your title threw me for a second. Was wondering if I should suggest your inquiry was better placed on Match.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    +1, what I would do in a Copal 1. Did it on mine 25 years ago.
    Looks $$$ tho. at least 300 for the install plus the shutter....which looks like at least 200 gambling on a used lens from ebay to just pull the shutter out...

You think yours is as sharp as a modern fuji?

Dagors have been 'cult' lenses since long before I began shooting LF in 1981. There are many threads here about their image qualities... a controversial subject. I have not used one enough to have an opinion about that. But the design was in production from the 1890s until at least 1982, by many manufacturers, which suggests a quality design. A look at the front page of this site suggests that Goerz lens #791500 dates from 1955, so yours may be from the late '50s. I'd try the lens out as-is; it may very well be worth putting into a shutter.

Thanks Mark. I saw that about the 791# being from 55, just wasn't sure what that meant about my 809#.

You're probably right, it's just going to be expensive to do properly, and not sure it's worth it versus just selling this and getting a modern fujinon 240 A or something similar.

Don’t have any Fujis-not interested!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 14-Mar-2019 at 13:15.

I wish we had more complete serial number information for C.P. Goerz A.O.C./ Goerz Optical Co. Recently on ebay there was a collection of G.O.C. ephemera which included a packing list for a lens ordered by a man in Michigan. The packing list clearly shows the invoice date of May 31, 1968. The lens is a "6" Goerz Dagor lens in MX/O Syn Shutter" and the lens serial number is 830782.

In October 1969 I bought a new 6" Dagor (Gold Dot), serial number 823566, so evidently these did not get sold in order of production. In the past I've probably cited this on various forums as a more precise data point regarding production date than it now appears to be. BTW not relying on a nearly 50 year old memory here. Made a written record of the purchase at the time and still have it.

David

loujon

Not sure if this was mentioned but why not have an adapter made for front mounting your 8 1/2" Dagor to a Copal 3 or a Alphax #4? this way you do not lose much if any image circle (larger shutter then if in the traditional mount probably being a Copal 1 or Alphax #3. The cost will be at a minimum as there is no need to make aperture scale for shutter or the expense of having your dagor mounted w/ a in between shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    I wish we had more complete serial number information for C.P. Goerz A.O.C./ Goerz Optical Co....In October 1969 I bought a new 6" Dagor (Gold Dot), serial number 823566..

David
    Thanks David, those dates and that info is good to know