Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photographs with Location Sound

multiplex

Re: Photographs with Location Sound

Hi Bryan
    Great stuff !
    Have you ever worked with Recordios ( they cut 33 rpm or 78 rpm records on lacquor plates ) or wire recorders ( record sound on a wire filament )
    They might be a sound avenue to travel down or DUB onto . I had both at one time, they are a lot of fun, and can often be found on the enormous online garage sale.
    John

John I had both in 1963 and they were very old then.

Fun but lo fi

I have another Wire Recorder now, needs work

Modern audio gear can easily replicate the lo fi sound
    Tin Can

I dabbled with 1/4" tape for a while when I was younger. While I might be an ardent supporter of shooting film, recording "analog" just wasn't for me. Though I did like the effect on occasion, it was just a pain in the butt.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

For awhile I had one of the big Ampex tape recorders. I found it in the abandoned equipment room of my university. When I asked, they said, "It's yours!" Alas, I never got it working.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ancient audio gear does not compare well with ancient prints.

Electricity, electronics, computers have been a much longer path to quality as compared to the rather quick rise to quality with early photography.

Photography matured faster and didn't degrade until the tiny film years of Disc cameras.

But any film is better than any wire recorder...
    Tin Can

Bryan check out Van Gogh in the Lounge

Pics & Muzak
    Tin Can

Using tape formats today are somewhat like using LF... It is smaller, easier to just use digital and be able to record with a large memory (but with a lot of button pushing) ready to go when you are... For nature recording, just the ticket... But for music/speech recording, tape has a vibe and tone with its own qualities that like a camera system that like a photograph, sounds (looks) great when properly presented (like on a proper listening system, not just a phone or tablet), but present larger logistics issues, like size, weight, media storage, keeping unit aligned/tech issues etc... But a nice full sound (image), and the rig really looks kool... (Sound familiar???)

Microphones are a lot like lenses, with different FOV's, and depending on type or vintage, have a differing rendering like comparing new modern glass (with its cold, hard but very detailed look, to older vintage glass with a smoother, more rounded look...

John was talking about older recording formats that equate to a pinhole or meniscus lens now, not detailed, but with a vibe of its own...

The talk about if we should be using it at home, is a bit of a waste, as most will be merely copying albums etc to listen to, and not do live recording where it's voice does become part of the whole, like in in merely taking pix of stuff, rather creating photographs that the process adds something to the whole...

Then there is the issue of where do you put the media to store/use for the future when it is in its material form responsibly so it lasts, rather than the cloud??? Yea, a pain in the ass!!!

I now work in pro audio (building/repairing/restoring ribbon mics), and have a full vintage analog and cutting edge digital recording studio at my disposal, but my co-workers ask me why I would even consider shooting single sheets of film with all the tech choices of today, and I remind them of how great our vintage gear shines on certain recordings, and that is why...

But another curse to get caught in... ;-)

Steve K

Steve, are any of the ribbon mic kits worth doing?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Steve, are any of the ribbon mic kits worth doing?
    They will work (I assume) as they are simple devices, and should sound ok, but I am not familiar with the kits...

The basic bigger differences between cheap mics and high end mics are QA, thinner ribbon material (lighter that responds more quickly/evenly with less mass to overshoot), much better output transformers that step-up the very weak signal, and better overall internal architecture that does not cause internal refractions etc... Then you will need a good pre/preamp to boost the weak signal up to normal mic (low) level...

They have a great natural sound, but a limited polar response (like FOV), and most designs record equally well from behind, but adds the room reflections well for presence... The light ribbons resonate way above the human hearing range, so a peak does not shout at normal hearing range, so smooth uncolored response you hear...

Installing the ribbon is tricky, but possible, but there's getting the tension ok, but there are ways it will work fine, so not rocket science, but hope they include their instructions in the kit!!!

I'll answer any questions that come up about it, if you go that road...

Steve K

Are sounds a higher or lower pitch at greater altitudes? I hiked everywhere as a kid, cannot remember; lost most of my hearing in the war and more later. I am skeptically exploring new-tech hearing aids - a total b*tch to tune. Just wondering if the difference is worthwhile pur$uing.

If the sounds are different I hope Coran pursues the realm.