Thread: Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

New member here! I got back into shooting film about 2 years ago, using 35mm Nikons (F, F2, F3 and F5). A few weeks back I branched out into Medium format using a Mamiya 645 1000S but then stumbled on a nice RB67 Pro S which I fell in love with. I decided to return the Mamiya 645 stuff and ended up trading it in towards some Large format gear. I've ended up with an MPP Mk VIII and a Toyo 45G. I bought the MPP as it's rather more portable and the Toyo because of its larger range of movements. Both cameras have so-called "Normal" lenses of 150 and 165mm. I'm not sitting near them so I don't recall the makes and apertures. I also ended up with a nice, heavy-duty tripod for them, a Manfrotto 161Mk2B. I will probably replace its ball-head with a 3-way head at some point but the ball is quite solid with either camera mounted but it's fiddly to set up.

The Toyo is in beautiful shape, appearing nearly unused. The MPP is in nice operating shape but you can tell it wasn't a shelf queen. The rangefinder is generally useless as it has no cam plate and given that those were tuned to specific lens serial numbers, I'm unlikely to ever have a correct one. I was planning to ground-glass focus anyway, so no great loss. The MPP needs a little cleaning I think as some of its slides are a little tight and sticky but it's very smooth and precise. Both cameras have a short warranty period from the shop so I'll be shooting some frames pretty quickly to see how everything works and looks.

Expect a lot of dumb noob questions in the next couple weeks

Dave

loujon

Re: Hello everyone!

Welcome Dave!

Glad you've joining our group/forum & look forward to your contributions in the future. I know there is a lot of knowledgeable members here that are willing to help others out anytime but as always, it's best you've done your part of the learning process (reading/study/practice) I'm sure your aware of though & again glad you've joined the LFPF

BTW- It seems our forum has been growing a bit here of late or maybe it's just me (I can & will check the numbers) but if we are growing that's nothing but good.

Wow, Dave! The way you are going you will be buying an 8x10 soon and then moving up to Ultra Large Format in the next year or so.

Ask all the questions you want. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are glad to help. Welcome to the forum!

Alan

Les

Welcome to the forum, Dave. We're ready for you

Les

This forum is jammed pack with the smartest, most patient people in photography. I learn something new everyday. I just need to put their knowledge to use.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome! I shoot mainly large format, but I'll never part with my RB67!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguy View Post
    Expect a lot of dumb noob questions in the next couple weeks
    Dave
    Hi Dave, and Welcome Aboard.

There are no dumb questions except those that don't get asked.

Feel free to ask whatever pops into your head, and we'll do our best to help.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.