Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to setup durst laborator 138 Enlarger

How to setup durst laborator 138 Enlarger

Hi all, I’ve just picked up a durst laborator 138 enlarger and although I’ve a copy of the instruction manual but there is no info on you tube as to setting it up for practical use and using the various components. Does anyone have a video or such that they could post? Thanks in advance regards Dean

Drew Wiley

Re: How to setup durst laborator 138 Enlarger

Are you talking about just the chassis or have a colorhead too? There were lots of options to this system. But the chassis basically separates into top column with bellows assembly, a lower column with baseboard support, the board itself, and the big chickenfoot assembly - in other words, four transportable pieces not counting the light source. There is a safety issue with the major springs. Then after assembly, you still need to fine-tune all the settings.

Dean, I bought the Durst 138S enlarger with CLS 301 color head about 6 years ago. Here's a video that reviews six different enlargers, and the 138 is the sixth and last one. Not a lot of information, but since you asked for videos, I wanted to pass this one on. http://www.darkroomdave.com/tutorial...oom-enlargers/

You can also find some information on the 5x7 and 8x10 Durst enlargers and accessories here: http://www.glennview.com/durst.htm
    I dream in black and white.

If you are lucky enough to have the instruction manual you are 90% there. The manual is very complete; all the lens, lensboard, and condenser settings are in there.

What exactly are you trying to do. Like IC, it's a manual enlarger, not a whole lot to the set up, just make sure it's aligned and read the manual. Do you have the condenser head or the color head? If condenser, do you have the condensers for it? I don't have a 138S, but an SM-183 which is the 8x10 base with the same 5x7 head. It's a great enlarger.
    Are you having any specific problems?

Service manual for the Durst 138 can be found here:
    http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/man...38S_manual.pdf

Read the ENTIRE manual before trying to set it up. Lots of details, lots this enlarger can do, lots that can go very wrong.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    You can also find some information on the 5x7 and 8x10 Durst enlargers and accessories here: http://www.glennview.com/durst.htm
    Hi, this is a very useful link. They show how to convert the condenser head into a diffusion head. This is great. I also think I will replace my 200W bulb with LEDs. They have got many ideas.

Hi everyone, thanks very much for your time in replying. The enlarger has a 5x7 condenser head along with multiple other condensers and very old looking neg holders which im still trying to make heads and tails out of?? Ive since found out that I need adapters for my Nikkor 150 and 50mm lenses to fit the multi-lens holder that came with the enlarger. With the info you all supplied (esp the two web sites) hopefully ill get the old girl going again, currently its showing off her curves in the corner of my living room much to my wife's annoyance

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Wilmot View Post
    hopefully ill get the old girl going again, currently its showing off her curves in the corner of my living room much to my wife's annoyance
    Hi, just adjust the baseboard, perhaps your girl will show off her curves in the corner of your living room to your enlargers' annoyance.

Post a picture of it, would be good to see just what you have as there were several versions of the L-138 depending on age.