Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Deciding between Rodenstock vs. Fujinon entry level 150mm lenses

Drew Wiley

Re: Deciding between Rodenstock vs. Fujinon entry level 150mm lenses

More likely, that five buck lens is now all battered up and listed as "Rare and Collectible" on the auction site for $3000. What I can't stand, however, is that "if it was good enough for Edward Weston"... He was a contact printer. Ever seen some of those "immaculate" images enlarged a little? Rather fuzzy by modern standards. And there's little doubt that if he could have afforded a "better" lens, he would have used it instead. But in this case Fuji vs Rodenstock; Ford vs Chevy. It won't make any difference with lenses of similar vintage, aperture, and focal length.

“I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”

― Socrates

Decades ago the first view camera outfit was a 4x5 Sinar F1 with a 210mm Rodenstock Sironar N, 90mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon and 190mm WF ektar. That 210mm Sironar N was the lens most used struggling up the LF learning curve. That Rodenstock lens being in an accurate Copal Shutter allowed focusing on learning VC basics from setting up to camera movements and a lot more. There was LOT of color transparency film burned as it was the way to get fast results due to The New Lab being a short drive away. The routine became go to one of the camera stores get a few boxes of color transparency film, load up all ten film holders, burn film ( LOTs of mistakes were made... LOTs), drop the film off at TNL, pick up the processed film a few hours later and be surprised good or bad. Most un-nerving were seeing the stunning color transparencies from working photographers that were "light years better than me". I would ask them about their images and most were more than willing to share how they were done.. Thank them much for sharing.

-Learned a LOT, burned LOTs of film, wasted countless sheets of film, got discouraged, got encouraged.... Stuck with it.

At some point due to influences by working photographers in the posse at that time, they encouraged me to try different lenses. Disconcerting at the time as that Sironar N became an old reliable friend. Loaner lenses made lens trials easy. The burning of color transparency film continued. Much to my surprise, there WERE differences in image rendition from different lenses.. That was the point when the photo posse put choices to me as to what the visual differences were and if they are better or worst. There is NO absolute one lens better than the other, there was only what image results appeals to me most..

That was the moment when the hard lesson of lens choice is completely dependent on the image maker and their specific needs and image results required was learned. It takes time and a whole lot of effort to reach a place on the LF learning curve to truly appreciate this reality. It also demands that the image maker-photographer disconnect from external influences of marketing, posse, group think and all that as lens choice is a very personal one.

Cost and condition of the preferred lens is another lesser in the overall as the most beat-up, lowly regard lens could be the ideal choice for a given image maker. One of examples of this is a 12" Commercial Ektar in barrel where the front element looks like a well-used ice skating ring.. yet it severed as the one of the most often used lenses for years on the 5x7 with more than acceptable to exceptional results.

Information, knowledge, wisdom cannot be properly utilized by an individual when they are not ready for what has or is being presented. All one can do is share what their knowledge, information and wisdom might be with others and allow them to take it in any way they decide.

None of this blather has even begun to touch on using the camera, items related to the camera, film choices, film processing choices, printing, print mounting and all that. The lens is only one facet of the much larger gem.

Bernice

Bernice, thank you for writing this, I find it very inspiring.

+1 from me to Bernice and the numerous members who contributed sage advice to this thread. So it wasn't what the OP wanted but there are others like me who are newbies who have gleaned valuable information from the generosity of others.

For what it's worth I also struggled with the same question posed by the OP. Large format is a different beast to 35mm and medium format where I choose to use dedicated brand lenses. I have purchased Schneider and Nikon but for my 3rd lens it will be Rodenstock. Go figure! My decision was based on research I gleaned from this forum. Clearly I have a different set of criteria to others but importantly I know that if I buy good glass (not necessarily the top of the range glass) at a reasonable price and within my budget, I can sell if I don't like the results I get. I doubt that my photographic skills will be let down by the quality of the lenses. I can only wish that that might happen. Thanks everyone.

Foamer

Geepers, this thread has already gone eight pages! Just think if the guy was considering THREE lenses!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Too much research will only tend to confuse you!