Thread: Attaching Ansco 5x7 to tripod head

Attaching Ansco 5x7 to tripod head

The 5x7 Ansco I received has two tripod sockets. What is the best way to attach this camera to a tripod head? Do I need to use both sockets? I tried attaching a Kirk 3.25" square QR plate, but the captive screw is too short. I read an old post that described attaching a 1/2 oak board to each socket and install a T-nut in between on the board. I have two tripods I could use, a old Bogen 3021 or Induro C213. The head I plan to use is a Kirk BH-1. Any advice?

Re: Attaching Ansco 5x7 to tripod head

Hi,

You should be able use only one 1/4-20 threaded tripod female socket.

2 are provided for different camera configurations to use the best balance point.
    If your Kirk screw is too short, that is unusual.

Make sure the attaching screw is correct and the female socket is not damaged or somehow modified.

Adding a wood plank is not always necessary but can be.

Pictures of the problem please.
    Tin Can

The camera was originally designed for a tripod with a large platform and two screws, with the balance point of the head between them. I didn't feel comfortable using either screw alone because then the balance point is always wrong, and it seemed really hard on my tripod head and unstable as well, requiring overtightening of the head. And it puts a lot of stress on the camera, too.

I made my own platform almost as wide as the rails and about two and a half inches longer than the distance between the holes in the camera, from 1/2" baltic birch plywood. Then I drilled holes matched to the camera's holes, and mounted the camera to the platform using 1/4-20 knob screws, like on a flash bracket, etc. (these instead of screws make it easy to remove the platform.) Finally I found the balance point that would be the most useful for the lens and extension I use the most, drilled a hole there and drove in a threaded insert at that spot. With other lenses I can usually find a front position vs rear extension that doesn't unbalance the camera too much. If your camera is a little floppy between the front and back rails (both of mine are) this stiffens it considerably.

This is a little more fuss to use, but the thin plywood base packs well, taking only a little case/bag space. Since this isn't a fast camera to use, the extra couple of minutes of setup time don't bother me.

The other option is to use the tripod that was made for the camera. They're not scarce, and they work well.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I looked a little closer today at the sockets. The threads of the socket start about 1/8" inside the socket. One of them, the one on the short segment of rail, has some damaged threads. I might need to change it out for a new T-nut. First, I think I'll try building a 3/8 baltic birch ply wood base like mdarton described. I also called Kirk Photo and they are sending a 1/2" captive screw to replace the 3/8" screw that came with the plate. Thanks for the advice.

I have two original AGFA ANSCO tripods for my two AGFA ANSCO 5x7's. Here you can see the location of the screw on the platform that was designed for optimal balance, but of course the balance changes depending on bellows extension. I find them a bit unwieldy, and use them more for display purposes with some of my antique cameras.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 11.15.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	188674
    Last edited by Mike in NY; 11-Mar-2019 at 20:05.
    I dream in black and white.

Mike, that's a nice looking tripod. I'd like to have one to match my camera some day. I made the plywood base and attached it to the Ansco with two 1/4 x 20 screw knobs. The tripod plate has a slotted base so I can slide the plate forward or backward to help balance the camera. Now I need to find a couple of small bubble levels to set the camera up level.

loujon

Just for one more view.... Here's an old snapshot of my combination 5x7 Ansco/Agfa Universal View/ Location Studio Tripod. So you can see where the camera attaches to the tripod heads platform take a look at the second photo.
    A great working set which I really enjoy using at times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2469.jpg   DSC_2475.jpg  

Your kit is beautiful, Louis!

I first got into large format by way of wet plate work about seven years ago. I have a great old AGFA 8x10, and work with some really large lenses. I then decided to work with film, and was coached by Richard Ritter to help me get my bearings. I shot 8x0 film using the above tripod, but eventually began using my Manfrotto tripod. But one thing I really missed about the vintage tripod was the hand crank, so I started taking both with me from time to time. I actually try not to raise the camera on the central post, since that can create less stability, but the crank is useful and kind of fun.