Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internal reflection in Zone VI 4x5

Re: Internal reflection in Zone VI 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    krylon ultra flat black paint.
    spray some into a cup n use a small sable brush to apply it evenly.

https://www.filmtools.com/krylon-ult...ray-paint.html

check the neg carefully to be sure its not a scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Spray paint scares me to digital. A Sharpie is flat enough.
    A Sharpie works fine for small spots. Spraying into a small cup and using a brush for small areas works fine too, and you have your choice of paints and colors. One can get small bottles of paint as well. However, a bit of spray paint on a larger surface does wonders sometimes.

Nothing to be afraid of with normal spray paints. Work in a well-ventilated area (wear a ventilator if you're paranoid), mask the area carefully so no spray or overspray gets on surfaces it's not intended for, shake the can well beforehand, spray a small test area (I usually use the newspaper I'm masking with) and then just spray lightly over what needs to be painted.

I've re-sprayed the inside of the back of my Zone VI camera, several homemade lensboards, and the scratched up septums on numerous filmholders. Great results, no problems ever. I use Rustoleum flat black mostly.

All that said, I still think the OP's problem is a reflection from a shiny surface on the filmholder, which would require no paint at all, just a bit of fine sandpaper.

Best,

Doremus

I use these a lot, they are pretty much just a felt-tip paint pen. You can get them in flat and glossy black.

Steve Midgley

Thanks for the replies. I isn't a scratch on the film, it has appeared on several sheets in different holders and it doesn't extend into the film outside the image area (why I included the frame). The emulsion is intact the whole length of the line. The line is on the negative itself. The edges are not sharp but the line is very narrow. I don't think it's a light leak in the normal sense as it's at a slightly different location on the sheets and some don't have it at all.
    I had thought of flat paint but my concern is that since this is where the holder slides in won't the holders rub the paint off? And where with this paint powder go?
    Keith, the paint pens you mention, are they paint or some kind of stain? I would really like to find something that can't rub off.

Doremus,
    I will look at the edges of the film holders for area where it could be reflecting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Palmer View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I isn't a scratch on the film, it has appeared on several sheets in different holders and it doesn't extend into the film outside the image area (why I included the frame). The emulsion is intact the whole length of the line. The line is on the negative itself. The edges are not sharp but the line is very narrow. I don't think it's a light leak in the normal sense as it's at a slightly different location on the sheets and some don't have it at all.
    I had thought of flat paint but my concern is that since this is where the holder slides in won't the holders rub the paint off? And where with this paint powder go?
    Keith, the paint pens you mention, are they paint or some kind of stain? I would really like to find something that can't rub off.
    Jim,

Take a look at the back of your camera from the inside. Remove the back from the camera and insert the filmholder. You'll see that any surfaces that could reflect light onto the film are not in contact with the holder at all. To paint these surfaces, I would insert a piece of scrap cardboard or the like in place of the filmholder, mask around the area to be sprayed and tape newspaper all around the masked area so that you have at leas a 3-foot square of paper to collect overspray, leaving just what you need painted in a hole in the middle (think surgery draping). Then just spray a light coat of your favorite flat black paint.

Do sand your holders. It's usually the 45° bevel that is the culprit here. If you have this line from a lot of holders, sand them all. I use 600-grit wet/dry paper and sand very lightly; just enough to knock down the gloss.

Vaughn's flat-black felt-tipped marker looks cool for small spots; I'm going to get one.

Best,

Doremus

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    I use these a lot, they are pretty much just a felt-tip paint pen. You can get them in flat and glossy black.

Me too Steve and I have for years. Most always have a few laying around in both flat & glossy.

FYI If you slide the tip out of the pen and pour (I use a turkey injector or some type of syringe fill syringe up w/) well shaken tester model paint (flat/glossy)or similar enamel paint then slide the tip back in place. I test out the pen to make sure it's feeding the tip (always does) then put cap on tightly & ready for another year of service while saving you 7 bucks pop from brick & mortar. The tip is really only good for 1-2 refill but it still doubles your millage before it gives up the ghost.

To check for surfaces that can reflect inside camera, remove GG frame, put camera on steady mounting turn off room lights, lens on, shutter open, sit behind camera and have someone (or attach to a stand) a very bright flashlight that is aimed off - axis toward lens so it would be only in the outer part of the IC... Look carefully at all the flat surfaces inside camera on the opposite side of where the light is shining to see if any of the surfaces inside have a slight glow, as these can be areas that might reflect to film area... These are areas that can be treated...

Just blackening sometimes does not work, because the surface of some finishes can reflect light like a mirror, so there's other options... Sometimes velvet or felt, plush ribbons, or I like fine grooved thin materials that can be attached break up the reflected light don't trap dust or lint...

But I think the more likely culprit is a light leak somewhere, or a possible processing or film loading or storage issue (like a film box that was slightly open or not closed properly)...

All it takes is a little light leak somewhere during the process, and you film will remember it well...

Steve K

Do or do not. There is no try.

My Nagaoka 4x5 had some internal reflection off the edges inside the back that gave a line on a couple of negatives, though not as sharp a line as you're seeing. I got some adhesive-backed black flocking of the sort used by telescope makes and stuck some small strips on the offending areas. So far, so good several years on, but I do check them from time to time just in case the adhesive is considering letting go.

The very best flat back. Apply with brush or Q-tip.