Hi,

I'm looking for help dealing with what I think is a reflection in my recently acquired Zone VI 4x5. There is a straight, rather sharp dark line (on the negative and appears as a bright line in the positive) parallel to the short edge of the sheet at the dark slide (left) end of the holder (see photo). It's always straight and the full width of the sheet. Taking the gg holder off the back of the camera all the area where the film holder slides in is shiny and the edge of the film opening next to the groove where the holder locks in is especially shiny. I'm thinking that there is a reflection from this rounded area that's making the line on the negative. This is seen in more than one film holder, though I've been almost exclusively using newish Riteway holders lately. It hasn't appeared on all negatives, but seems to be more frequently in the last 10-or-so sheets. My question is, what is the best thing to put on these shiny wood surfaces to remove the reflection that won't also flake off onto the negative? Will flat black paint rub off and produce a powder onto the film? Will a v. dark wood stain reduce the reflections enough? (As you can tell, I'm not a wood worker.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenses_neg3-3194.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	188534