Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Determining film speed in a hybrid workflow

Re: Determining film speed in a hybrid workflow

Thank you Bill. As someone once said "There are many paths to the Buddha.." I feel like just taking photos and stopping testing already. But I'm getting there, getting a little bit blown out highlights so will pull development back a bit and see what she says. Thank you again.

Just remember, you might be getting blown out highlights in a normal picture...

But your scanner can pick up practically everything you can throw at it, a normal picture would almost never reach step 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Just remember, you might be getting blown out highlights in a normal picture...

But your scanner can pick up practically everything you can throw at it, a normal picture would almost never reach step 14
    For all the bad things I've read about flat bed scanners, this V850 has impressed me very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    I understand well enough about development and zones with shooting/developing. It's when it comes to scanning that it falls apart for me. I found with my Rodinal and Delta 100 I get a good Zone 1 with shooting ISO 80 and my method of development, in my tank, at my temperature, and agitation. How do I translate this to scanning instead of printing test strips in an enlarger?
    I have written a fair amount on this topic in posts on this site. So for more detail, search is your friend.

To summarize what I found is pretty easy. First, expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. Just like for the darkroom. Just like for the alt-processes. Just as it has been since Niepce.

Second, scanning is effected by Callier Effect, as are darkroom enlargers. For both, you want just enough density in your highlights to get the job done, and no more. More density means more Callier Effect, which results in print artifacts like reduced highlight contrast and definition. So... as little highlight density as you can get away with.

And that's it. That's what it all comes down to. You can beat it to death (as we love to do here, we even have (had?) some little icons for showing a beaten horse IIRC), argue all the minutiae until you're blue in the face, and more corny metaphors besides. Arguing/discussing might be fun and diverting, but it doesn't change the laws of physics.

What you can do with this information, is use it to tune your development for your scanner and scanning workflow. If you do the work, you'll probably find (at least, I did) the optimum Dmax. For me (my equipment, workflow, etc.) it turned out to be a Zone VIII of around 1.0. Which would be difficult to print in the darkroom, but not impossible. But with my scanner and workflow, it scans like a dream.

Bruce Watson

Haha thank you Bruce. I'm gonna go take pictures now.

Your V850 will cope easily with any of you BW negatives. If you listen to the advise given by others here, you will be able to make good prints.

If you want to use your scanner as a densitometer, you will find that task quite easily. Scan using a gamma of 1. In silverfast that is a HDR scan I think. Then load the image into a photo editor, but don't tell the editor anything different. You can then use the RGB values converted to % to work out the density. It will look very dark.

So if the clear film has RGB value of 90% and the patch on your negative is 45%, then that patch has density of 0.3 above the clear film. The formula is log(.90/.45). The RGB values may be expressed in percentages or a value of 255, in that case divide by 255.

It won't be perfect but it will close. You scan a wedge to see how accurate it is.

Hope that helps and does not confuse.

Ted I thank you