Thread: Best drum scanning workflow for color negatives in 2019

Best drum scanning workflow for color negatives in 2019

Hello all!

I'm using a Dainippon 8060p drum scanner with its SG scan-x software, and i would like to know what is the best workflow for scanning color negatives according to you?
    From start to final export.

-Is it preferable to do the positive/negative inversion in the scanner software or in ColorPerfect / ColorNeg ?
    -I also heard about IT8 calibration, is that something important for drum scanning and how can i get a proper tutorial for that?
    -If you had to explain the best drum scanning workflow to a beginner, what would you say?

I've found a lot of Flatbed scanning tutorials, but nothing specially made for drum scanning..

Thank you all! Let's make this thread a 2019 bible for drum scanning

Re: Best drum scanning workflow for color negatives in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by N.Mendes View Post
    -Is it preferable to do the positive/negative inversion in the scanner software or in ColorPerfect / ColorNeg ?
    Depends on the software, ColorPerfect is a fudge IMHO. Though it may work better with scanner that use more discrete filters over the sensor. (sharp cut)

Quote Originally Posted by N.Mendes View Post
    -I also heard about IT8 calibration, is that something important for drum scanning and how can i get a proper tutorial for that?
    IT8 calibration does not apply to negative film. Nothing stopping you taking a picture with your favourite film, of a target or subject and calibrating it in some way, but that is not what IT8 calibration is, which is calibrating the dyes in the film to the spectral response of the scanner. The later is not want you for negative film. IMHO it is indeed a pity that proper calibration tools for color negative do not exist in the public domain.

Understanding color correction, the type of thing taught by Dan Margulis, is very helpful. If you know what colors should be, then there are a lot of methods to get you there. http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/dan-margulis
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Understanding color correction, the type of thing taught by Dan Margulis, is very helpful. If you know what colors should be, then there are a lot of methods to get you there. http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/dan-margulis
    Bingo. You need a reference or it’s the scanner operators vision vs. the photographers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should join the Negative Lab Pro group on Facebook. The creator of that software is there and I'm sure he would develop profiles for you. There is another drum scanner user in there getting good results.