Thread: Toyo 45A - Problem extending back

Toyo 45A - Problem extending back

Hello - I recently purchased a used Toyo 45A and am having trouble with extending the back of the camera or accessing rear swing. I've released/loosened the two knobs on the bottom of the bed next to the tripod mount and i've flipped inward (and outward) the two locking levers on the underside of the rear standard. Can't seem to extend backwards or rear swing. Am I missing something obvious? Or do these extension tubes get rusted/corroded and if so is there a remedy? No visible sign of rust or damage to the tubes...

Re: Toyo 45A - Problem extending back

Loosen the bottom knobs and push the back away from you to extend it. The rear knobs must be flipped inwards to loosen them. Then the back must be extended and the rear swung. If the back is not extended it cannot be swung. If the back cannot be extended, use a drop of lubricant on the rails and let it penetrate into the tube.

Kumar

Thanks Kumar - Any suggestion on type of lube? That's my next step as I've tried everything else... Thanks again! Todd

Use a very tiny drop of sewing machine oil at the rim of the tubes, and make sure it penetrates inside. You can also use a silicon based lubricant. Do not use a spray, because that could reach unintended places.

Kumar

These get stuck pretty often, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. They usually come loose fairly easily but I've had to tap the end of the shaft with a wooden drift more than once, as recently as last week.

I would clean the exposed part of the tubes before I did anything or you will be moving more dirt into the housing when you do get some movement and you don't want that. I use WD40 sprayed into a small container and dip cotton swabs into the liquid, both for the cleaning and lubricating. When it does come loose, run it back and forth a number of times, cleaning the tubes as you go.
    Steve Midgley

I returned a Toyo 45A to the seller once for the same problem. Is that a possibility for you?
    The next one I bought slid freely. The difference was like night and day.

Grasp the bed, and the back, firmly in each hand. Wiggle and pull apart, firmly but in control, to see if you can get motion. It doesn't seem like a feature that can get locked up. Keep at it.

If you get the camera to move, I would clean the rods before using lubricant. Use lubricant as a last chance option.

Please post photos if you can.

Thanks all! I’m taking it back to the seller for assistance and possibly refund if unable to resolve. @ chassis - here is a photo. Not seeing any sign of rust or damage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk