Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for good and cheap loupe

Recommendation for good and cheap loupe

By searching online, most people are happy with Peak loupes, but they are very expensive as well.

Are there cheaper alternatives for a good 4x loupe?

Re: Recommendation for good and cheap loupe

I'm too new at this format to know what constitutes a good loupe but I do have a 5X loupe tha tI'm happy with:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4ebdc48e4bddfd

For all I know, it's a poor loupe and I don't know it but it allows for easy view and focus on the GG of my 4x5 Intrepid.

The 2007 B&H catalog had a good Loupe section. Since many of these are not available any more, the list here can guide one finding a used loupe.
    https://static.bhphotovideo.com/Fram...on06Loupes.pdf

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use an old planoconvex lens of a Leitz Hektor I found in an old Pradovit. It fits into a 58mm filter box. I had this lens in the lens tube, together with a Leica close up lens, this was ideal because I wear glasses. By changing the close up magnificion you can adapt the system to your eyes. You can put the lens tube directly onto the ground glass. But the tube is made of metal. It's bulky, so I prefer the single plano convex lens in my hand. Magnificion is about 2-4x, I don't know, and I don't mind. It works.

Cheap reading glasses work well for overall GG viewing... I like the full non bifocal versions, and cost $2-$5 at a bargain store...

Steve K

45er

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Cheap reading glasses work well for overall GG viewing... I like the full non bifocal versions, and cost $2-$5 at a bargain store...

Steve K
    Always keep a +3 set in my bag, very handy for "up close" viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Not a good idea, no. It focuses on what lies at the level of its base - not a case of focusing on a gg picture where you would be the gg thickness out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelo View Post
    I'm too new at this format to know what constitutes a good loupe but I do have a 5X loupe tha tI'm happy with:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4ebdc48e4bddfd

For all I know, it's a poor loupe and I don't know it but it allows for easy view and focus on the GG of my 4x5 Intrepid.
    Again, it is a fixed focus loupe that focuses on what is at its base level, not the case of gg focusing. You need a loupe that allows you to focus with it. Your loupe is good for slides/negatives/print viewing. A gg can have 2mm thickness! Look with your loupe at a slide and then lift your loupe by 2mm - you will see what you use and loose on your gg focusing.

Guys, it is possible to focus a gg image even with a loupe that doesn't focus directly on the image but is slightly out of focus. Of course you can still judge what is less fuzzy and what is more fuzzy and decide for the peak sharpness of the slightly fuzzy image. But such a way of focusing belongs to the - "why do things simply if we can do them in a complicated way?" category of thinking.