Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you like your Chamonix 57Fs-2 ?

Photographer

Re: How do you like your Chamonix 57Fs-2 ?

This is drifting off Eric’s original topic, so I’ll push it a little further. If you are considering a horizontal only camera, look at the H-1 with the 5x7 back. Beautiful camera. The 4x5 back will give you landscape and portrait orientations. Only other issue that I know is that you’ll need a top hat for a 450mm lens.
    Keith Pitman

Are we sure the horizontal only model will accept any reducing back?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I asked Hugo about this and he informed me that the 4x5 reduction back does indeed rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I asked Hugo about this and he informed me that the 4x5 reduction back does indeed rotate.
    Still a little confused. I’m under the impression that the back on the horizontal only model is not removable. Perhaps that’s an erroneous assumption on my part?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Thank you Keith for the pointer to the H-1.

From the Chamonix site. "The rear standard on the 45H-1 can be removed and exchanged for other format backs. We have 4x10, 5x7 (horizontal only), and 6x17 backs for the 45H-1 camera. With the 45H-1 the photographer can use other formats; only the back standard is changed. All these formats have the build quality that Chamonix is known for."

Another option to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Still a little confused. I’m under the impression that the back on the horizontal only model is not removable. Perhaps that’s an erroneous assumption on my part?
    Even in the photos visible on the Chamonix site you can see the mechanism for removing the back. I'm assuming that the 4x5 back for it is the rotating type that spins the graflok or whatever type of film holder mount they're using. In any case I asked Hugo about the system and he said that the back rotates, and he said it does.

So I received my 5x7N and finally had a chance to set it up tonight.

Maaaaaan what a nice camera. It's barely bigger than a 45N2, but I have to say that big 57 ground glass looks nice and inviting. Interestingly the 57 GG does not have a fresnel. However the 45 does, and the reduction back is very well thought out. The graflok (graflock?) does rotate. Of course the horizontal orientation frame stays in place, but the graflok has two little tabs to free it which allows for rotation. Anothing I find really impressive is how smoothly the film holders can be inserted into the back, the camera does not move. My 8x10 Gibellini is much less smooth, though it is their budget model of course. But still it's just reassuring that you're not going to lose fine focus. It's going to be a wonderful 4x5 and 5x7. I even tilted the camera to vertical and the bellows are very well in place should I want to do a 5x7 'portrait' orientation. Though I expect that to be rare if it ever happens.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oxa8EPpB6ty9qBka7

Looks great, wonder if they offer a GG for 57 on request. When I get to order I’ll see. My use for 5x7 portrait will be rare too, glad to hear you’re happy with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
    Looks great, wonder if they offer a GG for 57 on request. When I get to order I’ll see. .
    Tommy if i read your question correctly the answer is yes. The 57n is a 5x7 camera Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	200733. Because it's small and light it is designed in landscape orientation & you have to flip the camera sideways (so the tripod mount is on the side) to shoot in portrait....unlike other cameras that are larger (& more square) and allow you to reposition the back without moving the camera.