Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the market for unique LF gear?

Re: What is the market for unique LF gear?

I know many who worry about what would happen to the tools of their trade... I always say to get the most out of them while you are alive and kicking and use the hell out of them... To you personally, it won't matter to you after you are gone... But to those that survive you, at least they have a world market online now if as suggested, there is some form of description to help them later...

But sooner than later is a good time for a little Marie Kondo action to get rid of those items that don't bring joy, but might to someone else...

Big problem is you never really know when it's time to go, so live your life like you stole it!!!

No regrets... ;-)

Steve K

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    I understand, but are you sure your wife will survive you??
    They always do!
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    What is the market for unique LF gear? When I die i do not want to leave my wife with decades accumulations of cameras, many of which are unique, some hand-built. Such would make her life too complex.

I am not concerned with established brands of which among us we have many, but in particular cameras built to new configurations or combinations of parts put together in a novel manner which can be called outliers.
    If you put them for sale, you will find out. Some people want to buy stuff, but not from Ebay. It is always better to buy directly from the photographer that discuss issues with one. Just saying.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

To paraphrase an earlier comment, if your items were in high demand they wouldn't be unique. So the more time you have to sell it and the more visibility to potential buyers you have, the more you'll get for it. If getting the most for the items is of concern to you - or your cherished heirs (not all heirs are cherished) - then start the process now and be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Another solution would be not to die, I guess.
    I found a cone from a giant Sequoia tree on the pavement. I still have it and its 130-or-so seeds. I intend to find a tree-ologist somewhere who will coach me on how to grow them here in Maine. Obviously, I'll have to stick around while they mature, so I'm counting on at least 2,000 more years.

Wonder if they'll still make LF film then?
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I found a cone from a giant Sequoia tree on the pavement. I still have it and its 130-or-so seeds. I intend to find a tree-ologist somewhere who will coach me on how to grow them here in Maine. Obviously, I'll have to stick around while they mature, so I'm counting on at least 2,000 more years.

Wonder if they'll still make LF film then?
    Don't know about the film but like very much your idea with the tree seeds! Maybe the sequoia won't be as big as on the West side but it still will be a sequoia! Hold on!
    (Came once home from Borneo with seeds of a Kapok tree - it grew fantastically at home but was so big after several years that I could not move it to my new house and I needed to let it go... Was very sorry for it but it was an immense pleasure to see it grow and to have it!)

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    To paraphrase an earlier comment, if your items were in high demand they wouldn't be unique. So the more time you have to sell it and the more visibility to potential buyers you have, the more you'll get for it. If getting the most for the items is of concern to you - or your cherished heirs (not all heirs are cherished) - then start the process now and be patient.
    Maybe he is looking for a good home for his stuff. When I sell, I make sure it goes to a good home.

loujon

That’s sound advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I helped a friend of mine's widow sell her late husband's LF gear. Some of it was homemade ULF gear. It was frankly very hard to sell, partially because she thought the gear was worth more than it was. So some sold, some was given away and some was donated to schools etc. It took a long time.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

if your items were in high demand they wouldn't be unique.
    By that measure one way to actualize unique is to lower price significantly; I plan to do just that. One loser example that I have been watching on the 'bay is a lens with an asking price close to $6,000. I would ask $1000 for the same in better condition. I would go even lower for expediency. I would still not lose money.